The Old Towing Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Old Towing Question

I am the very happy owner of Ford Escape(green by the way) with 3.0 200 hp v 6 rated for 3500 lbs . Presently I tow an Aliner which probably weighs in around 1800 lbs when I'm loaded up for the lakes,Zodiac,OB etc. This presents no problem whatsoever for the Escape in the Northwest mtns. Now my partner and I contemplating branching out for longer trips such as the Baja,so she feels a full facility rig would be in order and as such a 17 ft Bigfoot,Casita style would be the ticket.
We do not want to switch the Escape for another vehicle so the question is ''Will the Escape cut it for a 17 ft fibreglass beauty?'' :r
jdmac
BCLiner

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #2

Towing

jdmac -

I think 16 foot would be a safe bet. Probably could do 17', but think the 16 would be easier for the little difference.

Old 02-25-2003, 08:47 AM   #3

No

No

Old 02-25-2003, 09:31 AM   #4

I could'a told you, you would get that answer. I don't think you would like the feel of the towing. you have the power, but you may not have the vehicle weight to safely stop a large trailer in an emergency. the 17 is getting toward the heavy size. and no I have not tried it. I do know of people pulling a 16 with no problem. I pull a 14 and like it, but don't want to go heavier. I feel it on uneven areas more then I like, but I think thats just towing. I'm a worry wart. it jerks me, I panic. If you add very little to the weight of the trailer, maybe, but I wouldn't push the upper limits of the towing weight. and like you, I'm keeping my Escape no matter what

(you have a green Escape..they come in Green? kewl)

Old 02-25-2003, 11:30 AM   #5

towing

Check out the following link for information on towing limits :)

http://www.popuptimes.com/archives/75rule.asp