The Perfect Fiberglass RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
The Perfect Fiberglass RV

Yep, everybody's got one, or so they say. And just like everyone else I have one too, my own vision of the perfect fiberglass rv that is...

Since we acquired our first fiberglass camper trailer a few years ago, we have completely redesigned ours and are working on a 2nd restoration. During these years we have seen lots of various makes and models (both fiberglass and other construction) as well as every imaginable custom modification to them all. So with fiberglassrvs' being more limited in floor space due to the lack of slideouts, would you like to see more floorplan options? More versatile or multi-function layouts? Would you be more interested in a custom built model to your liking at a higher price tag or a well thought out stock model aimed at the masses at a more conservative price? What features are important to you? What are your "I must haves"? What are your "I don't need its"? Would you welcome a new and "better mousetrap" to the current offerings of the fiberglass rv marketplace? What would be the motivating factor a manufacturer could provide that would prompt you to upgrade from your existing unit?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Its really not about the perfect RV. Its more about favorites.

I have owned about 85 motor vehicles, many of which were largely my own handiwork. Among them I have had several favorites, one of which is the Ford Pinto. It is really IMO the quintessential automobile endowed with an "honesty" and competence that is endearing much like a loyal and enthusiastic pet. If that sounds odd you must bear in mind that anthropomorphic projection is an innate part of the human condition commonly applied to such things as pets and inanimate objects.
Irrational? ...Maybe, but rationalization is not entirely rational.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I have owned about 85 motor vehicles, many of which were largely my own handiwork. Among them I have had several favorites, one of which is the Ford Pinto. It is really IMO the quintessential automobile endowed with an "honesty" and competence that is endearing much like a loyal and enthusiastic pet. If that sounds odd you must bear in mind that anthropomorphic projection is an innate part of the human condition commonly applied to such things as pets and inanimate objects.

I guess I just want to see what everyone's vision of their own perfect rv was, particularly anything that is common among the group.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfect RV. Like many things in life it is a matter of the best compromises to suit your individual style.

Oh, and the fact my RVing style has changed over the years to suit current desires only complicates this. What was once considered an ideal feature/idea is no longer pertinent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I would agree that 'perfect' resides in your ability to adapt.

My vote for, ' the quintessential automobile endowed with an "honesty" and competence that is endearing much like a loyal and enthusiastic pet.' is the Ford Falcon.......the US's answer to the VW Beetle.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

WOW, 85 vehicles, Can`t ya get right. Don't ya know what your doing. That is more then one car a year, every year of your adult life. Just kidding.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Funny you should ask on the eve of the Boler 50th anniversary celebration...

My vote for the "perfect" FG trailer goes to the original Boler. Ray Olecko packed amazing functionality into a tiny shell and figured out how to build it simply and affordably. Every time I set up the bunk on my Scamp I think, "Genius!" The Boler shape is iconic, endlessly copied, still turning heads after 50 years.

In truth Olecko's design is imperfect but infinitely customizable. Perhaps there is no perfect trailer, only a perfect starting point. The fact that people still line up for nearly a year to buy a Scamp 13 is testimony to the enduring appeal of his concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
...What would be the motivating factor a manufacturer could provide that would prompt you to upgrade from your existing unit?
A stretched Scamp 13 with a porta-potty closet, more galley space, and the same "genius" bunks. Oh wait... they did that back in 1978! Add a 12VDC fridge and solar and you have my perfect trailer. Some day, perhaps...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have several "perfect" trailers in my head. Each is best suited for different applications. Am I taking five kids? Is it just my wife and I? How long is the trip? Are we going to Burning Man?

Now that the kids are starting to move out. My current dream trailer is a Trillium, (ya, big surprise there) 4500 deluxe, with a front dinette, gravity furnace, and a front and rear rock guard, all factory. There are several modifications I would make, but that would be a long list.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
WOW, 85 vehicles, Can`t ya get right. Don't ya know what your doing. That is more then one car a year, every year of your adult life. Just kidding.
Oh yeah, and maybe 30 fiberglass RVs!
Eggy-Sue (the pull-it surprize!) is still my favorite... Perfect for the on golng process of perfection!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I would agree that 'perfect' resides in your ability to adapt.

My vote for, ' the quintessential automobile endowed with an "honesty" and competence that is endearing much like a loyal and enthusiastic pet.' is the Ford Falcon.......the US's answer to the VW Beetle.
Sold this one recently to make room for the Mustang...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0106.JPG  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
What features are important to you? What are your "I must haves"? What are your "I don't need its"? Would you welcome a new and "better mousetrap" to the current offerings of the fiberglass rv marketplace? What would be the motivating factor a manufacturer could provide that would prompt you to upgrade from your existing unit?
John,

In our few years of owning three trailers, starting with a teardrop, we quickly found that having a large refrigerator which could operate off the grid really gets us excited.

Beyond that, our cooking style in the Escape 21 has quickly become centered on the trailer's kitchen now that we have a "large" countertop prep area and a range-oven. With the Casita, we typically just hauled everything out to the picnic table to cook and clean up on our (redundant) camp stove as we found the Casita so small and crowded that we did very little cooking and cleanup in it. So, perhaps we are really RVing for the first time in these respects.

This is all said with all due respect and perhaps a degree of humility as I realise that many others happily do all of these things and more in much smaller trailers; it's just a matter of what's been working for us. Combined with the insulation, ample storage and a comfortable bed we feel like we have found a trailer which really incorporates what's important to us.

In terms of what could motivate us to make a change, the Lance 1475 really turned our heads with its comfortable little swivel chairs. They felt like they would have been a perfect refuge at the end of the day.

However, I ultimately decided that I couldn't bring myself to purchase a non-molded RV. So, we are presently "making do" with our U-dinette and a couple of throw pillows, while contemplating some additional changes to make the seating more comfortable. But, our "ideal" trailer would have a pair of comfortable chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Archie Chair.png   Denis Ferkany 1986 Bigfoot 5th Wheel SAM_5970.JPG  

Denis Ferkany 1986 Bigfoot 5th Wheel SAM_5959.JPG  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For me and the wife, a 17 ft plus casita with the bed lengthwise so either could get up without bothering the other, would be the perfect rv for us. That is all we do not like about our SD Casita 17. So perhaps a 18ft Casita SD with lengthwise bed would be our perfect rv.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My ideal Trailer would:
1 - weigh nothing
2 - have zero air resistance (drag)
3 - have a full time queen size bed with room to get out on both sides.
4 - side Dinette for 2
5 - high rise elongated toilet (macerator type)
6 - six ft six in headroom.
7 - Roof A/C that makes no noise
8 - roomier shower
9 - water purification system.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 1992 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
A walk around bed, (maybe queen size) and a dry shower
Martha Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
My ideal Trailer would:
1 - weigh nothing
4 - side Dinette for 2
8 - roomier shower
10 - 4' x 4' x 4' when towing, and then pops out to about 8' x 8' x 18' like something from the Jetsons when in camp!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
My ideal Trailer would:
1 - weigh nothing
4 - side Dinette for 2
8 - roomier shower
and fit in single parking spot after fitting through the drive-up!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
For me the perfect trailer would
Be small and light enough to be towed by almost any vehicle
Ability to have a full queen sized bed and a front dinett
Ability to sleep 2 in a queen sized bed and also sleep my 3 grandchildren.
Ability to easily load bikes
Ability to unload all the interior and hose out the inside and out the drain in the fg
floor
Panoramic windows so l can enjoy the view from anywhere in the trailer
Large side entrance door so my hips don’t get stuck as well as easily bringing items in and out the trailer
Ability to not have to bring a kitchen stove and sink with me when I have no intention on using it
Ability to have a kitchen stove and sink when I do plan on using it
Ability to fold the tongue for that little extra room or so I don’t bang my shins (ouch)
Ability to use the trailer for other than just camping ,maybe hauling home an ikea kitchen or sofa with out having to borrow somebody’s truck
Ability to take my dirt bike and my queen size bed
Ability to use my inside furniture outside just in case I forgot the lawn chairs or I need extra
Not having to deal with black tanks
Side skirts that not only look cool but give the bed almost 10 inches in length as well as a wider track for extra stability
A all fg interior for easy cleaning and extra regidity for the extra strength to hold a roof top ac
The ability (sorry for this one ) to not have to ever deal with rivets.
These are just some things I would like in a perfect camper I’m sure there are more available but I’d be typing for a while more but need to get back to work.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Self-waxing.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Self-waxing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #20

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
We have owned a tent trailer, a Boler 13, a Scamp 13 with a Bath/Shower, A 35 ft motorhome, a Burro 17, and now a Bigfoot 21. I like the simple trailers best! Boler, Scamp W/O a bathroom, just simple! Tow it with a Jeep and see the world. Use a camp bag toilet if stuck inside, cook outside, use campground showers or baby wipes if none. But! My wife loves the comfort of a bigger trailer, bigger bed, heater, shower, storage, microwave, A/C, and a hot shower. When we were young we camped off the back of motorcycles and learned how to pack light, but now that we are older we like taking more stuff. Whatever ticks your clock is best. If you like exploring the outback like we do you may want to keep it light and simple, If you like the big resort like places go big. The one thing that I never liked were the small refrigerators, when the door was opened you loose all the cold air. It never seemed to work. Someone should make a top loader unit that doubles for counter space. Just thinkin!
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote