The problem of the rear door popping open... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
It happened to me this morning. I know I need a better door lock- the one I have is hard to use. But it does appear to close tight. However, about a mile after I started this morning a guy signalled me that it had come open. I closed it and rigged a bungie to keep it closed, which worked. Any better, more permanent solutions?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Click image for larger version

Name:	Door_Bungee.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	9631
I still use this door bungee that I got from my local RV supply store.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #3

Registry
That looks like a good solution. I'll look for one. Thanks.

Bobbie
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bobbie,
I've not seen a Campster in person, but in photos the door looks very much like the door in Compacts. Unlike most other trailers, we have a flat door mounted in a flat wall. Compact used a residential style lockset, door knob, and a house style deadbolt. I think it would be easy to replace though I've not tried. On my Jr. I had to file the striker plate for a better fit. I always lock the dead bolt when in transit and have had no problems.
Tom Trostel
Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #5

Registry
Mine has a house-style door lock but no deadbolt. It should be easy to replace- I tried for about two minutes one day and could not get the knob off- it has that style of knob where you have to remove an outer sleeve to get to the screws, and I couldn't quickly get it loose. Then I forgot about it. A deadbolt would probably be more secure so I'll look and see if that would be do-able.

Bobbie
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Mine has a house-style door lock but no deadbolt. It should be easy to replace- I tried for about two minutes one day and could not get the knob off- it has that style of knob where you have to remove an outer sleeve to get to the screws, and I couldn't quickly get it loose. Then I forgot about it. A deadbolt would probably be more secure so I'll look and see if that would be do-able.

Bobbie
Hi bobbie,
I had the same problem with my campster. I replaced the striker plate on the jamb and it helped a little. It turned out the door in the area of the door knob was very weak and flexible. I strengthened the door, about 12 inches above and below the door knob, by removing the door knob and clamping 1X4 boards to each side of the door to eliminate outward expansion and very carefully injected the triple expanding foam you can get at stores such as Home Depot. If you put to much in at one time it will warp your door so you must do it in small layers.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote