Theft prevention - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
I worked in law enforcement for many years and investigated many burglaries and thefts. There is a difference between theft prevention and theft deterrence. I have a safe where I store many valuables, anchored a foot deep into my home's concrete foundation. The exterior is 8 gauge rolled steel, it has 2" bolts all the way around the door, etc. That is theft prevention.

What we're really talking about is deterring casual theft, by using simple locks, cables, etc. That is a very good idea no matter where you live or camp. Most of the theft victims I came into contact with didn't even try to deter, let alone prevent.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yup. Insurance doesn't reimburse you for the aggravation of finding your genset gas can gone or God forbid your beer cooler.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Milt having been the victims of not one but two trailers stolen in one night both with hitch locks and behind locked gates I would agree with Donna and have valued to your trailer insurance .The only other thing that would deter a thief is if they can't see them ,our trailers were in a highly visible area with lots of traffic.not a good idea which is why we now keep them hidden in a concealed area.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Probably a good idea to get a replacement quote from your insurance Co. every couple years as FG trailers don't depreciate nearly as fast as stickies. Don't know if you can an actual replacement cost policy on them but it would be a good idea if you don't want to self insure (eat) the difference.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
1 7/8" hitch. Nobody else has one!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I like the cable through the wheels idea. I am going to steal this one. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
I like the cable through the wheels idea. I am going to steal this one. Thanks for sharing.
Use grade 70 or higher chain, very difficult to cut thru.

ken
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Thieves will just throw a chain over ur hitch ball, and trailer is gone.

use chains around both wheel and frame sets.

ken
Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
We use one of those wheel locks, orange one, it also acts as a wheel chock.

We lived in a rural area in AZ, we had neighbors each having an acre of land. We had a 2,000 lb pop-up in our front yard, probably 120 feet from the street. It had a hitch lock in place, the best you could buy.

I had seen a flatbed truck in the area earlier in the week and thought it looked like they were just looking for an address since, you know, the country. On Sunday morning, we got up, went out and got in the car in the rear of our property and as we were pulling out, I said, "Where is the camper?" The camper was gone. There was a deep dig mark across the barren front of the property leading to the street and scrapes on the black top. I am guessing they drug it to the road and loaded it onto the flatbed. They were good enough that even our top-notch watch dog was not disturbed and she was sharp as a tack.

The insurance paid out. The camper was found later by the police when they went to serve a warrant on an individual that wasn't home. The two women at the home told police that the man had "borrowed" it and we probably just forgot we loaned it to him. The camper was impounded at the police lot as evidence and we never heard of it again. The insurance man did tell us that if it were located and returned that they would sell it back, at a very good price, to us if we wanted. It was the only new major purchase we had ever made and we bought the best Coleman with all the bells and whistles.

Do everything you can to slow them down. As you know, the smaller trailers are extremely popular and sell quickly.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
In the states I have lived in you are required. to register and license your trailer and after they verify the VIN # ,they issue you a title ,the same procedure as a motor vehicle. I understand how with a vehicle you can chop it up fpr parts but is there that big of a market for stolen FG trailer parts. How does one obtain plates ,registration card and a title for a stolen trailer.? When we bought our used Scamp both the seller and I went to the DMV and he was made to produce a valid ID and the trailer title and I as the purchaser had to show proper ID to have rhe title transfered. Maybe I don't think like a thief but there does appear to be some safeguards in place.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I agree that I don't think there is much of a market for trailer parts, but any trailer plate can be installed on a stolen trailer and the chances are very slim they would be checked by a police officer, even if they did check the plate I don't think many can tell the difference between any trailer model or length. I have also heard that stolen trailers are used as hunting cabins and fishing shacks so they are pulled to a location off the grid, no need to title or register.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hitch Sizes for Security?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Thieves will always have a 1 7/8" hitch ball.
I have a multi-size draw bar that has a 2 1/4" a 2" and a 1 7/8" ball on it that I bought for when I pick up new projects. All I have to do is turn it to the size I want. Was about $20 at Harbor Freight.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Insurance Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Probably a good idea to get a replacement quote from your insurance Co. every couple years as FG trailers don't depreciate nearly as fast as stickies. Don't know if you can an actual replacement cost policy on them but it would be a good idea if you don't want to self insure (eat) the difference.
Most insurance companies won't quote a replacement value on anything that's not commonly listed in something like the NADA Bluebook and, in the case of FGRV's, that's not a source you will ever want to use, as they are often in the 25% of typical sales value range.

I tell my insurance company how much I want my FGRV covered for in the even of theft or total loss, and they set the premium accordingly. Then.... if there is a claim, it is then up to moi to show current replacement value.

For taking that precaution, when my Corvette was stolen and totaled, I was able to get almost $2000 over high retail NADA value. Not as high as the maximum value I had set, but well over what they wanted to offer.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
It is also a good idea, just in case, to have a list of items that you keep in the camper which would be beyond the value of the trailer itself - contents. We were asked to list the items we had in the camper. When we had a parked car totaled by a teen driver out on her first "alone" trip, they asked for us to put down any newer items installed, work done recently, etc., and they added that on to the settlement.