Thermablaster heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Thermablaster heater

Been around and around on heaters. Vented vs. non vented and all that jazz. I Scamp at 7-12,000ft off grid and do not yet have the funds to get a sweet solar system. Propane is my way to go and not too worried about condensation since I live in a dry state. I got a Mr Buddy and it is ok but not awesome. Looking at the Wave 3 or the Thermablaster 6,000 BTU Propane Vent Free Convection Wall Heater. Don't know a lot about the Thermablaster. Any recommendations would be helpful.

I understand the safety with a cat heater so if it can be vented without power that works too.
dron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: XLR Thunderbolt
Arizona
Hi Dron (new member here).

I stumbled over your question merely because I am doing exactly the same thing, assessing using either the catalytic Olympian wave or the Thermablaster blue flame vent-free heater inside my 5th wheel TH.

I personally like the convection style of heater (blue flame) which heats the air versus a radiant style. But I base my mostly biased opinion on the mere fact that in my old trailer which I sold 4 months ago, (a 34' open 5th wheel toy hauler) I used a ProCom 10,000 BTU blue flame heater religiously for about 4 years. I can only base my comparison on having used my portable Mr. Heater (Big Buddy) indoors on other rare occasions.

After may nights and long hours of reading (again) on the use of any type of vent-free gas heater indoors, I decided to stick with personal preference and experience. Having said that, I'm going to try out the Thermablaster 10,000 BTU blue flame heater.

The ProCom never let me down, but appears difficult to find available anywhere (maybe they are out of business?). The Thermablaster also has a very sleek looking design. I like the stainless steel and enclosed look of the heater where with my old one, their was little barrier from the flame of the heater.

I couldn't find anything that documents what the max altitude is this heater will work at but given it has ODS, I'll assume anywhere between 4500-6000 ft. like most others. Also worth noting, my old ProCom never hiccuped even once at elevations of ~7500 ft.

I now have 38' ft of space to heat and it should be noted in my old 34', the heater never ran above the #2 setting on the thermostat, ever.

At the end of the day, I was pleased with the use of the blue flame vent free heater I had so I am sticking with that style. The cost of the wave is significant and a lot of care goes into keeping the pad free of dirt/fibers etc. Again, reading much about these, I came across mixed opinions from people who owned them who used them religiously but failed after just a couple short years to people who use them seldom and keep them covered and continue to work 10 years later.

At the high altitudes you're describing, you may have little choice except to use the Wave. Whatever it be, vent properly for fresh air and you'll be fine.
jchall80 is offline   Reply With Quote