Thetford Aqua-Magic V Pedal Sticks - water won't shut off - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Thetford Aqua-Magic V Pedal Sticks - water won't shut off

Sorry for the cross-posting on the Casita forum - this is quite a frustrating problem I spent a lot of time on!

If I push down firmly on the pedal, then release it, the pedal sticks on - the blade valve stays open, and water continuously flows. Sometimes it will shut off by itself, mostly not. If I reach behind the toilet and snap the mechanism the pedal operates, the valve will shut, and turn the water off. Fortunately, we have the shutoff valve to turn the water off. My research at first let me to the water valve, which I replaced; this did not seem to do the trick (and I did not have a water leak or running toilet to begin with). I tried lubricating every mechanism that moved when I depressed the pedal. This seemed to work for a while, but no longer works.
The pedal return spring appears fine, and I have cleaned the blade seal and the groove it sits in.
I went to the RV show here in Portland today, and operated every Aqua-Magic V I found installed (almost all in lower-end stick-and-tin units). In every case, I pushed the pedal down and the blade valve opened; I took my foot off the pedal, and the blade valve closed. Something's definitely sticking on ours. I searched for "Aqua Magic V sticking pedal" on the internet, and found nothing.

Am I missing something? Is it time for a new toilet?
BTW, in the inexpensive stick - and - tin trailers I visited, I found two toilets loose - one of which I could raise 1/4". Hope they catch that in the PDI...
Thank you,
Mac

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Order a repair kit from a RV supplier.

panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
There is a spring in most of the units that pulls the flapper and foot lever assembly back into place in the closed position. Also, the pivot surface areas of the lever/flapper assembly can, on occasion, get corrosion built up on it, which could also cause the flapper to stick open.
My recommendation is to access the flush mechanism under the toilet and check the spring first. From there, try some lubricant such as WD-40 or some white lithium spray on the pivoting/moving parts. If that does not work you, you may have to replace the flush assembly.

And yes, you'll find those ubiquitous Aqua Magic's in most <100K RV's and travel trailers, because they're cheap. You also get what you pay for too.

Personally, I never liked that Thetford Aqua Magic plastic POS, and replaced mine with a Sea-Land Model 511+ Traveler porcelain bowl toilet with a real wooden seat. Feels like your actually sitting on a toilet instead of a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Also much more trouble free and easier to clean than the plastic toilets. If you do upgrade, don't forget to order the 2-bolt to 4-bolt conversion base ring. The cheap Thetford Aqua Magic's have a two-bolt mounting base. The real Sea-Land toilet has a much sturdier 4-bolt base mount. A pretty simple straight-forward swap-out.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...eler_302651101
(You'll find the conversion ring in the same link, right below the toilet.)
Attached Thumbnails
casita1 018.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote