thor ace 27.2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: GILL
Trailer: THOR
Florida
thor ace 27.2

we would like to install second a/c units in the bedroom ,do anyone have any ideas ,and can this be done
gcjuly56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjuly56 View Post
we would like to install second a/c units in the bedroom ,do anyone have any ideas ,and can this be done
Usually requires 50 amp service. If you have 30 amp it could be a problem. You can't run 2 A/c's on 30 amp at the same time. Check with an RV repair place. They are usually good to tell you these things. Everyone I know with 2 A/C units have 50 amps. Not sure how to convert to 50 amp from 30 amp correctly. Using a pigtail plug would not do it correctly.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Name: GILL
Trailer: THOR
Florida
THOR ACE 27.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jann todd View Post
usually requires 50 amp service. If you have 30 amp it could be a problem. You can't run 2 a/c's on 30 amp at the same time. Check with an rv repair place. They are usually good to tell you these things. Everyone i know with 2 a/c units have 50 amps. Not sure how to convert to 50 amp from 30 amp correctly. Using a pigtail plug would not do it correctly.
thank you for the inf
gcjuly56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are some "ducted" AC units that have an air duct that can be routed thru a bulkhead to get cool air into another room. I don't know anything about your brand of trailer and depending on the layout and amount of headroom (the duct mounts on the ceiling) it might work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If running the main a/c solo during the day, then running the bedroom unit solo say at night would meet your needs, then existing circuits may work. If that would work for you, I would recommend installing a rocker switch between them that forces users to switch to one or the other. I realize this might work for a couple, but not a family.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
The Thor ACE 27.2 is a 27' class A motorhome, with dual slide-out units? not exactly the small fiberglass trailer this forum is about...

googling Thor's website, it looks like dual AC with 50A service is an option on the 29.3 and larger. upgrading from 30A to 50A would likely require a new power center as 50A is 2 phases and requires more/larger breakers and stuff.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote