Three Way Fridge Mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Three Way Fridge Mods

Hi All, haven't been here for some time. I guess I've spent more time camping and less time working on the camper! I'm working to improve the performance of our Dometic three-way fridge in our 16' Casita. I've followed posts from many moons ago and have done a fair amount of sheet metal work to help improve the convection past the fins. I think that helped, but I don't have any real data other than it's still not as good as I'd like on really hot days. I'm just finishing up the addition of a couple of computer fans to help pull air across the fins. I can't help but notice that the propane burner chimney vents right beside the first set of fins. I guess if the Casita installation had more vertical height to let the exhaust go on up, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but as it is, the hot exhaust has to pass directly directly over some of the same fins that I'm trying to cool. Has anyone added a baffle to help direct the exhaust around the fins on its way to the louvers? I've made one and am about to make it permanent. I'm leaving much more flow area than the opening of the chimney to ensure I don't choke the exhaust flow. Of course my luck will still result in this causing the flame to go out while towing....oops, I didn't mean to mention that.

Looking for any experience with this or other ideas. I know there are some real fridge experts here.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Buckley View Post
Hi All, haven't been here for some time. I guess I've spent more time camping and less time working on the camper! I'm working to improve the performance of our Dometic three-way fridge in our 16' Casita. I've followed posts from many moons ago and have done a fair amount of sheet metal work to help improve the convection past the fins. I think that helped, but I don't have any real data other than it's still not as good as I'd like on really hot days. I'm just finishing up the addition of a couple of computer fans to help pull air across the fins. I can't help but notice that the propane burner chimney vents right beside the first set of fins. I guess if the Casita installation had more vertical height to let the exhaust go on up, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but as it is, the hot exhaust has to pass directly directly over some of the same fins that I'm trying to cool. Has anyone added a baffle to help direct the exhaust around the fins on its way to the louvers? I've made one and am about to make it permanent. I'm leaving much more flow area than the opening of the chimney to ensure I don't choke the exhaust flow. Of course my luck will still result in this causing the flame to go out while towing....oops, I didn't mean to mention that.

Looking for any experience with this or other ideas. I know there are some real fridge experts here.

Parker
Funny you should say this as i am following a similar post on the casita site and webmaster gene came up with something that i never thought about with the location of the probe inside the fridge. There is also other ideas there
See what you think.
Joe

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...post__p__64573
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks, Joe. I just posted over there, so we'll see what happens. I think they're concerned with the larger fridge in the 17', but maybe someone will be watching who has some experience with the small three-way. By the way....I'll check the probe in our fridge. I hadn't thought about that.
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Ammonia absorption refrigerators seem to only lower the inside box temperatures as compared to the outside temperature. The answer for us is NOT carry stuff absolutely requires refrigeration. Since we don't eat a lot of meat it's not a problem.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Just to be different, I carry frozen pot pies and sherbet in my freezer in my Scamp.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Ammonia absorption refrigerators seem to only lower the inside box temperatures as compared to the outside temperature. The answer for us is NOT carry stuff absolutely requires refrigeration. Since we don't eat a lot of meat it's not a problem.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge