Through-the-Wall A/C vs Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Through-the-Wall A/C vs Window

Has anyone attempted to install a through-the-wall air conditioner in a closet or cabinet? In contrast to a window unit, all of the venting for a through-the-wall unit is at the back. It would appear that this might be a good way to go for an interior install. I would think that you would simply have to build shielding to connect the space between the back of the A/C unit and the louvered vent to the outside of the trailer so as to prevent any mixing of inside and exterior air.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl G View Post
Has anyone attempted to install a through-the-wall air conditioner in a closet or cabinet? In contrast to a window unit, all of the venting for a through-the-wall unit is at the back.
I regularly see "Window" air conditioners displayed for sale in the big box and home center stores. I don't remember seeing "Through-the-wall" units in stores, just installed in buildings (like Motels). Do you know of a source? Am I missing them in Home Depot or Lowe's?
Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
You rarely see them in the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's. You are more likely to see them at Sears or online. Quite a few manufactuerers make them. The type to which I refer look just like a sqare window unit but all of the venting is done through the back of the unit. Hotels normally use the very wide through wall units. That type would be difficult to install due to the size.

Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #4

Name: sherry
Trailer: Traveleze
Alaska
Quote:
Has anyone attempted to install a through-the-wall air conditioner in a closet or cabinet? In contrast to a window unit, all of the venting for a through-the-wall unit is at the back. It would appear that this might be a good way to go for an interior install. I would think that you would simply have to build shielding to connect the space between the back of the A/C unit and the louvered vent to the outside of the trailer so as to prevent any mixing of inside and exterior air.

Thanks,
Carl

I had a 13' with a window a/c. On hot days it was perfect but on the days when you really don't need a/c it really prevents any circulation. I didn't care for it and decided not to install one on my Perris Pacer.
highlandsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
Carl, I have seen the window units in pics on this site before. I did see one window unit in person an d what he had done was just like you said, he just used some thin woos to make a shield from the vack of unit to the outside vent and a small vent on each side to intake fresh air. he says it work nicely. I would imagine what you are talking about sonds even a little easier. I would like to add air to my compact jr. if you have a soujrce for opne of those units please share. wondering aboujt price, Good luck
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
The handiest materal I had was sheet metal ducting and true "Duct Tape".(thin aluminum strip with adhesive backing) I was able to fashon a baffle and cover that allowed me to completely isolate the back of my closet from the cabin and gave me the ventilation needed to make a window AC work in a closet very well. It still is. Tin snips were very handy.
You can see how I installed a window AC in the closet of my '83 Scamp 13 along with other restorations, through the link in my signature at the bottom of this post.

ConwayBob
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 1980 (Circa) 13 ft Scamp (A WORK IN PROGRESS)
Registry
Hi Carl...I have not done it, but it would be the way to go if......you could find a smaller unit (5000 BTU), which I cannot. Also the cost may keep some people away since there in the $400.00 range VS $99.00 for a small 5000 BTU window unit.

But like I said, they would be the way to go if you could use a larger unit.

Frank

Quote:

Thanks,
Carl
FRANK MOLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK MOLIS View Post
Hi Carl...I have not done it, but it would be the way to go if......you could find a smaller unit (5000 BTU), which I cannot. Also the cost may keep some people away since there in the $400.00 range VS $99.00 for a small 5000 BTU window unit.

But like I said, they would be the way to go if you could use a larger unit.

Frank

5000 BTW is the limit for a 13' trailer. With less than 100 cubic ft 4000-6000 BTU is all you got to work with.

An AC becomes very inefficient if it is too large for the cubic feet of room it is cooling. You may think that bigger is better, but not in the case of air conditioning.

To make a room comfortable the air conditioner needs to both cool the room air AND dehumidify the room air.

If the air conditioner is too large for the space to be cooled, the temperature will drop quickly and the A/C unit will shut off before the air has become adequately dry.

The room will be either too cold or too humid for comfort.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I do this...

On the few trips when I'm expecting hot weather and electrical availability, I temporarily install a small, cheap window unit in the empty fridge space of my 16' Scamp. I made sure it was a rear-exhausting A/C, as was mentioned. My own bit of cleverness is to sandwich a thin 12-inch-square electric fan between the A/C and the vent louvers, to insure effective ventilation. To get cold air, I just open the cabinet door and clip a small 12v fan to blow the cool, heavy air upwards. It worked perfectly on a July trip to Kentucky, so I expect it would work anywhere, anytime.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
John,
Sounds a clever and simple install.
Any pics?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote