Tiger Moth towing MPG - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Tiger Moth towing MPG

I just picked up my new Tiger Moth (weighs 900 lbs dry) and in towing it home empty, my Subaru Forester, which easily ties my 16’ Scamp for five years over mountains, only got 14-15 mpg on the eight hour trip home. My Subaru ALWAYS gets 21 mpg towing 2,500 lb. Scamp. Any suggestions or ideas why the sudden drop in mpgs? I’m hoping it’s a car issue and not due to aerodynamics of my new trailer. Their main add point is that it can be towed by four cylinder. Thanks for ideas.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Probably has a lot to do with wind resistance. That is a huge factor.

The Tiger Moth is not streamlined and the Scamp is. Weight doesn't mean very much on level ground. Higher speeds exponentially increase wind resistance.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Maybe you ran into a headwind. Wind resistance is the most likely culprit by far.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Cool trailer!
Watch your speed and acceleration and give it a little time for comparison.
The switch to winter grade gas while the weather is still warm can be a cause.
Also...
Use Progard Fuel injection cleaner in the black bottle every 10000 miles.
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Mother nature invented the slip stream egg shape. Just imagine a hen trying to lay a square egg and all the resistance that would cause
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

Indiana
Registry
[emoji4][emoji594]
Old 11-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

Indiana
Registry
Bummer. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I’ll deal with it mits so much easier to pull than Scamp. Thanks. ����
Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

Indiana
Registry
But I’ve pulled Scamp at 2,509 lbs in 69 mph winds and still got 20 mpg. Thus 2as barely windy and 1:509 weight lower but I coukd not pull over 40 without dropping down to 13. Hmm ����
Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Mother nature invented the slip stream egg shape. Just imagine a hen trying to lay a square egg and all the resistance that would cause
Nominated for best answer of the month!
---

Agree that wind resistance is a major and oft overlooked factor.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #10

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Scamp has a shape of a bullet. Tiger Moth has a shape of a brick...
Old 11-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are you saying you can pull a 16' Scamp into a 69 mph headwind with a Subaru Forester and get 20 mph?

I drive in winds a lot, and while a Scamp is more aerodynamic than a brick, a bullet (or an egg) it's not. The flat back is a problem from an aerodynamic standpoint.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Are you saying you can pull a 16' Scamp into a 69 mph headwind with a Subaru Forester and get 20 mph?

I drive in winds a lot, and while a Scamp is more aerodynamic than a brick, a bullet (or an egg) it's not. The flat back is a problem from an aerodynamic standpoint.

Yes. First time our five years ago I knew no thing about when to stop in high winds. Luckily I survived it heading through Nevada on 80. Wind warnings and for all trailers and 50-60 mph winds in warnings. 20 Mpg. Of course the ups and downs of highway helped. But must people are amazed I get 20-21 always with 16’ and Forester 2009.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
judi that is amazing gas milage pulling a 16f trailer. Share your driving habits please?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #14

Indiana
Registry
Duh. I just drive. Never over 50 mph and after that first five day trek from Indiana to San Francisco with crazy winds, I avoid interstates at almost any cost. I just got back from three weeks going southwest from Indiana thru Arkansas, Oklahoma a, New Mexico, southern Utah with Scamp and had usual 21 mpg. Can’t say I do any unusual thing except back roads. I purposefully bought a Subaru Forester stick shift and that may help with my 2009 Subaru. Like a lot of my life, I just blunder along. After getting sick on that last trip, I’m changing my goals and bought the smaller trailer to make it easier to tow and hitch up etc. I’m 74 and travel alone but this trip I was so sick with altitude sickness I am rethinking my entire travel plans.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
well

Judi I sort of assumed what your driving habits were! I tried the 50mph thing you can get great mpg doing that. I watch my car computer and I can see a drastic improvement doing that.

On our trips time is never an important issue to us we just drive until we are tired usually by 4pm, hit the walmart for the night and enjoy!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It takes three to six weeks to adjust to the change to being in high altitude such as traveling to Denver from lower areas. You are retired, take your time, do some very slow travel and inch your way up into the mountains.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I sure noticed the difference in drag from towing the Ventura trailer compaired to the Casita 17SD. The casita gets better gas mileage even though its a lot heavier than the Ventura was. I bought a 2004 F150 2wd to pull the ventura when I found my older Subaru Outback was really struggling to pull it. Its like pulling 2 sheets of plywood down the road. The curve of the Casita really makes a difference as you have found with the Scamp.

BTW your Tiger Moth is much different from mine.! Its a DH82 Tiger Moth and yes it has a lot of drag too. I fly RC and the tigers are my favorite plane, I have 4 of them! This is my new one for indoor flying
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN7086 (Medium).JPG  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #18

Indiana
Registry
Bummer that I never considered it would get less Mpg. Totally nit even thought of. I’ll deal with it like everyone. Pay the extra money. And I still love the Tiger Moth with all the features I wanted. Solar adaptable, solar shower, outdoor cooking, awning, no bathroom or water pumping issues, no propane to worry about (illogical I know) and wat more security with double licks and dead bolts. Good to hear someone else Similar Mpg issues with casita versus other trailer.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #19

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Bummer that I never considered it would get less Mpg. Totally nit even thought of. I’ll deal with it like everyone. Pay the extra money. And I still love the Tiger Moth with all the features I wanted. Solar adaptable, solar shower, outdoor cooking, awning, no bathroom or water pumping issues, no propane to worry about (illogical I know) and wat more security with double licks and dead bolts. Good to hear someone else Similar Mpg issues with casita versus other trailer.

[emoji929]⚓️🛸
Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Yes. First time our five years ago I knew no thing about when to stop in high winds. Luckily I survived it heading through Nevada on 80. Wind warnings and for all trailers and 50-60 mph winds in warnings. 20 Mpg. Of course the ups and downs of highway helped. But must people are amazed I get 20-21 always with 16’ and Forester 2009.
I am amazed you can even tow a 16 ft Scamp with a Forester at all.
20 -21 MPG'S is totally astonishing to the point of being unbelievable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote