Tight Termination Cap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Tight Termination Cap

After searching the forums without success, I'll ask here: can I lubricate my black tank termination cap to make it easier to twist off when dumping? I don't have a lot of hand strength and the cap is the devil to remove after sitting for a few weeks unused.

I may have to invent a tool that helps me get a grip and get better leverage. I hate holding up folks behind me in the dump station line. Need to get that cap off PDQ! Suggestions?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are several wrenches (spanner wrenches) listed for this application. I have one that the previous owner gave me, but I've never used it. Camco 39756 at Camping World and Amazon have very mixed reviews. For a lubricant, some silicone grease or maybe some Vaseline. Be careful, you don't want the cap to fall off.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Take a rat tailed file or a drill and file a notch in each jaw of the cap, leaving the lip intact. This will let the jaw flex easier and it will then go on and off easier. An 1/8" should be enough.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I use a silicone lubricant, specifically for all plumbing connections accompanied rubber.
As hose connection on the o-ring rubber.

I also use to lubricate the connections between the pipes of my black and grey water tank, after removing dirts that make them hard to handle, and on the rode of the valves.

I am certain to extend far the lifetime of these parts.

At home, when I connect the hoses in the spring, if there is any water leak, I undo connections and lubricates, usually everything stabilizes ...

Silicone Lubricant | Master Plumber®

I found this in a hardware store in my area, I'm sure you have the equivalent in your area.

When buying a new faucet for home, they provide a small amount with the entire system.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Sounds as if you could use a different style of termination end and cap. Why not take a look at that option? They do make easier to use styles.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you decide to use a lubricant (I personally think is a good idea) I would not use a "petroleum"-based grease. Petro-based grease can cause the neoprene rubber seals to swell and could cause even more troubles if left sitting for some time!

The reason I know this is from experience. I had a B&D kitchen faucet. The swiveling faucet would start leaking because it would get hard to turn and I would try loosening it slightly. I would put a little vasoline on it....which would help for awhile. The next time I would take it apart, the oring was MUCH too large and I couldnt get it to seal right again. Finally the factory sent me some of their "non-petroleum" grease (probably silicone) and that's been several years now and NO more problems and it still swivels easy with no leaks.

Here's a photo of a replacement I used last year. I like it because it has FOUR spades instead of the stock 2. If one breaks (which mine did right before a trip!) while on the road, I can rotate it 90 deg and stilll keep trucking. Walmart was discontinuing these so you may not find them this cheap. I bought 2. Amazon will come close:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Attached Thumbnails
Camco Sewer Cap Replacement.jpg  
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's what I use:
Attached Thumbnails
Termination cap #1.jpg  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok "Joyous", I give up...where did you get it?

Edit: Ahhh. I guess here would be a good place to start. Good price you paid there.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-...erra+sewer+cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Here's what I use:
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Ok "Joyous", I give up...where did you get it?
Well Darral, I really don't know.

I've been using mine for well over 10 years

The one in the picture is a spare I carry. I think I've seen them at WalMart. I'm sure just about any RV store carries them, certainly Camping World and that's likely where I got mine.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote