time to add a battery system, could use input please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
I believe Adam is using the Canadian Tire housebrand of this unit:

Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex

Yes, it is an inverter and a charger and, from what I understand, it can be hardwired into the the existing 120.

Plug into shore power and it charges your battery and the inverter is bypassed. Someone pulls your plug and it automatically switches to inverter mode.

I either never knew they existed or just didn't pay enough attention to them when I saw them.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #16

Name: Adam
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1972
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
I believe Adam is using the Canadian Tire housebrand of this unit:

Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex
That is the unit, re-branded as MotoMaster Eliminator.

Thanks everyone for the abundance of info, tomorrow I should be able to finish setting everything up, and hopefully it all works!

maybe down the road a solar panel will be added to the entire program....

Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #17

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Looks great.
These are more inverter than most put in tiny rigs like ours but they are quality units for sure.

Like I said before the battery is now the crucial variable for you but if you already have one just plug it in and see how long it runs.

Have fun
Old 08-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #18

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriemel83 View Post
That is the unit, re-branded as MotoMaster Eliminator.

Thanks everyone for the abundance of info, tomorrow I should be able to finish setting everything up, and hopefully it all works!

maybe down the road a solar panel will be added to the entire program....

The MotoMaster does not work as a converter also, correct? I'm greedy, I want it all in one unit Is there such an animal?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #19

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
The MotoMaster does not work as a converter also, correct? I'm greedy, I want it all in one unit Is there such an animal?
I have spoken with Xantrex about this several times and they assure me that these will work as converters too as we know them.
If you look at the specs they will charge at 20 or 40 amps depending on the model and this is roughly 1 20 or 40 amp converter then.
Converters are just Power Supplies really and the current rating is saying how powerful they are as a power supply.
They also are designed to taper the output voltage and current to the battery to properly maintain and condition each different type of battery but they are still really just a power supply(converter).

The charging current is what makes any charger function as a converter but this also interacts with how the charging function will work.

In other words if also powering loads in the trailer on 12vdc the charger will think the battery is more discharged and alter the charging based on this.
I am fairly certain most converters work this way and I have never been able to get any manufacturer to clear this up to my satisfaction or commit to an answer I could understand any better?

I wanted to know because I also have a few True Charge units like those in Kevins video and needed to know if they would act as a converter and high quality charger.
They do and did and I removed one from a trailer when I sold it as they are much better chargers than most designed for an RV.

My understanding is that the unit talked about here is essentially the same charger with a quality inverter in the same chassis.

Another interesting point is that Xantrex made an RV converter for a short while that looked like other converters but then stopped making it.
As I understand it this low end of the market is just not where they wanted to be and they pulled back to their roots somewhat.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #20

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
I ended up frying my 20 amp xantrex charger by accidentally shorting it out (beer and 12 volts don't mix) but it did work nicely as a converter. It had a selection switch for a constant 13.5 volts. in this stage it didn't need a battery in the system to operate 12 volt.(they also recommend that a battery not be in the system while in this mode) I am not sure about my 10 amp Xantrex Truecharge seen in the video but I believe it needed a battery in the system to operate,

To my understanding this is somewhat what a converter will do. A converter doesn't need a battery in the system but will also operate with a battery in the system without damaging the battery. When plugged in the converter "knows" to convert 120v to 12v while the charger re-charges your battery.

I couldn't find any information in the manual for Adam's inverter/charger so I believe it will operate as Ed has indicated, charging your battery accordingly, depending on the load that is being placed on it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillium 4500
My electrical system has been centered around a Xantrex HF1000 for the last couple of years. Works great! Shore power, when hooked up, flows through the unit (so, yes, your dorm fridge will work fine when plugged in). At the same time it is charging your battery (multi level/"smart" charger with a remote LED monitor). No need for a converter. Your 12V just runs off of the charging battery. Does the charger kick in to high gear when you're using 12V stuff to compensate for the power going out? Don't know, I just know it works. As others have said: inverted power is inefficient, better to use the 12V if you can, but now you have options. As a result, unless you get a MUCH bigger battery bank, your fridge is just dry storage unless you're plugged in to shore power. My system has 2 6V batteries and a 130W solar panel, the only time I plug in is when she's parked in the carport for winter storage. I second the "12V side of life" it was my bible when designing my system.

Tags
battery