Time to wire up a new harness - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
Time to wire up a new harness

I don't have any trouble wiring up stuff. Getting brakes installed so now I have to upgrade from my 4 wire harness. But now I have the question of using a 7 pin or a 6? While shopping at the automotive store I noticed there are a lot of different manufactures making 7. I only saw a couple of 6 and it seems that is the normal. But I don't have reverse lights on the Boler so any reason for having a 7? Maybe someone has a handy mod that uses the extra wire terminal? I only have one tow vehicle (fj). Maybe the 6 may help deter thieves since 6 is uncommon. Your thoughts?
Also would like to know what kind of brake controller people are using. And if you would recommend it.
aznative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
a 7 is easier to work with if you do any future repairs or additions, and is easier, for me anyway, to push into the socket. Bigger body makes gripping easier for my poo' arthritic fingers.

Controller ~ I use a Prodigy. It has been bullet proof for me, even though there are newer versions than mine. Mine has been bounced from car to car and bounced on the floor/ground once or twice..still keeps on tickin'.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
7 blade connection is common in vehicle tow packages. If you had to have someone else tow your trailer the 7 blade connector might be useful. But then they make 7 blade to 6 pin adapters so you might want one of those if you're into protecting for possible eventualities.

I feel like I'm stalking Gina D. since my posts on a number of topics are just minutes behind hers.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am calling the FBI on you! LOL!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Use a 7 flat. It's the most common as mentioned and makes it easier if you ever need a tow or purchase a different tow vehicle (that may have one already installed by the manufacturer) down the road.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Use 7pin connector is best and most common. Better 7 with 4pin adaptor. In 7pin connector, the center terminal will be spare if you don't need it. It will be utilized for..rear reverse light/ alarm/camera or even brake, I guess....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
People have used that extra pin to wire a yellow after market fog light to the backup circuit. Mounted fog light on back bumper aimed low, helps backing in after dark and yellow light is less aggravating to the other campers.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
An universal connector diy with 7/4pin combined figuration, just a share in my 1300Trillium:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG611.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #9

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
Thanks guy I'll just get the 7pin. They have one that has both the 7 and the 4 in one. I'll go that route. Best of both worlds.
aznative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Good choice Gina, and don't worry, the connector will not make it any more or less attractive to thieves. Thieves will bring a set of magnetic lights with them, just to reduce the chance of being stopped should the existing connection not match/work.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote