Tinting plexiglass windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Not that I have lots to hide but I was thinking it would be nice to darken the windows on my Scamp. Can you put the window darkening stuff on plexiglass or when it gets warm/hot from the sun will it bubble up and look bad. Let me know your thoughts or if you have done this befor...also the window has a slight curve will I be cursing the stuff trying to get it just so? Thank you Brandy
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
A lot of the trailers with curved windows that you see have had the plexi replaced with tinted lexan.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like the light. We seem to get so little of it (between rain drops) here in the Pacific NorthWET. If I camped where it was typically hot, I'd certainly consider tinting the windows with something. I wonder if it's possible to get darkened window cling stuff that can be put on and taken off... the same plastic stuff they use for decals telling you when you need an oil change? That way a person could have the best of both worlds. Darker in the summer, lighter in the winter... something to think about at least.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna....
I remember seeing something like you suggested (sort of like the old "Colorforms" toy as a kid or the removable window christmas decorations)
If i ever find the link i will be sure to post it
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Donna....
I remember seeing something like you suggested (sort of like the old "Colorforms" toy as a kid or the removable window christmas decorations)
If i ever find the link i will be sure to post it
Joe
Joe, I've seen smaller sizes, something like 12"x12" and it usually has some cartoon character printed on it. Usual use is on the window next to a baby seat in the vehicle. Keeps the sun off the child. So, it should be available... but in what sizes Maybe a sign shop would know?

Yes, a link would be great
Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Joe, I've seen smaller sizes, something like 12"x12" and it usually has some cartoon character printed on it. Usual use is on the window next to a baby seat in the vehicle. Keeps the sun off the child. So, it should be available... but in what sizes Maybe a sign shop would know?

I like where the idea is going I dont want to have my trailer decked out in childrens window decals.."child on board..ect" but that has given me the idea of looking at a fabric store..you know on some roll up window shades I have seen something that looks a bit like black vinyl that has lots of holes in evenly spaced I have seen them on large department store windows and maybe I can find something that I can cut to fit and velcro into place. This gets me to thinking thanks. Brandy
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #7

Brandy, I wasn't thinking of getting the stuff with pictures already on it, but BLANK. Yeah, pictures of bunnie rabbits isn't for me either

Jo-Ann Fabrics has the stuff you're talking about. It comes in black, green, red and blue. And is about 8 feet wide.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #8

Thanks glad I could give you a laugh, when window clings where first suggested I quickly envisionsed all those winnie the pooh, yeild for children window clings...not very flattering and certainly doesn't go with the festive yellow Scamp interior. That would certainly make those who might not appreciate kids groan if they saw me pulling in next to them in a campground.. Later Brandy
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We bought the black out curtain panels from LNT. Very reasonable plus 20% off coupons abound, and hemmed them with a glue gun in like 3 minutes. They are great because there is a rod channel on the top and bottom so you don't need many panels to do the trailer. Works great on the light and we cut them extra long so they really cover the bottom of the windows.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:

I have seen a stick on vynl that makes your window look like stained glass. That was at a Home Depot up/over here.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows