Tire blow out question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
How much does your trailer weigh?
What is the load rating on your tires?
Do you use a weight distributing hitch?
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #22

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
You probably have load range D tires which can be inflated to 65 lbs. The Parkliner may only have load range C which max out at 50 PSI normally.

We have 14" load range D on our Scamp that came with 13" load range C just to get the extra load capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
ST-Capture.JPG  
Old 07-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #23

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Check speed rating of tire. I find no speed rating on my trailer tires. Went online and found speed rating for type of tire. Looks like trailer tires of this rating is 65 mph max. Carlcivi has the right idea 60mph. Over 65 on a hot day especially seems risky.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #24

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Everything I have ever read regarding tire pressure and ambient temp, is that with an increase in air temp or road surface temp, tire air pressure will increase. I just read that with a 10 degree increase in air temp your tire air pressure will increase 1 PSI.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...nd-temperature

The recommendation is to check tire pressure when tire is cold. My thinking is if you check in the AM and the temp is 60F, by the afternoon when the temp is 100 F your tire pressure will have increased by approx 4 PSI. Will a 4 PSI tire pressure cause a blow out? I would think not! Tolerances are built in to all recommendations due to the fact that not all users follow the recommendations, all of the time.

Mark
Old 07-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #25

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
timely....

I blew a tire a few days ago....doing 100k on a hot sunny day....

and yeah, you need blocks or something to drive the wheel onto otherwise no jack will fit/work

the next day I made it to a tire shop (Kal Tire, Port McNeill) and bought two new tires (in and out of there in 45 minutes !!!!) didn't check date codes as the tires were still "sticky" they were so fresh.....

FWIW the tires spec 50psi on the sidewall....so they inflated them to 45...reasoning that with heat they would get close to the max press.

I had checked them at the beginning of the trip and had inflated then to 50....now I'm wondering if OVER inflation might have caused my problem

anyway, I have blocks, all the tools, drop cloth....

roadside assistance sounds good in populated areas....how long you'd have to wait depending on where you are is anybody's guess.....one thing for certain, in a regional emergency like a forest fire or a flood that service would be a very LONG time coming....if at all

Happy motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
blo.jpg   blo3.jpg  

blo2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
oh and....

How do you call for roadside assistance if there's no cell service????
Large swaths of that where I travel...
Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #27

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
. Remember to bring a drop cloth with you. it seems where ever you get a flat tire the ground isnt the most hospitable to be crawling under a trailer to set up the jack.
I bought some of the interlocking work mats, like the puzzle play mats for kids. I use them for padding between bikes and other stuff packed in the truck, and use one as a knee pad to set the trailer stabilizers and on the truck tailgate when crawling in to get something.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The 50 psi on the tire is "cold" pressure.
Air them up to 50 in the morning before driving. No need to complicate the issue. The tire company has allowed for sunrise and hot asphalt.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Those TPMS setups with two sensors go for about $160 and I think they are a good investment. I had a puncture resulting in a fast leak on my truck. It came with the TPMS system as standard equipment and whatever its cost, it more than paid for itself by saving that tire and a lot of trouble.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Those TPMS setups with two sensors go for about $160 and I think they are a good investment.
I concur.. great piece of mind. $155 from TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System from plugitright@gmail.com
I bought from them and was pleased.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Where were your tires made?
Most likely China and as were most all trailer tires.

Within the past two months I bought two Good Year Endurance tires made in the US with an 87 MPH speed rating.
the endurance tires were just announced in January of this year.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...avPromoContent

All the tire engineers in the world does not make a difference if the manufacturing process is not done correctly.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
yeah sure....

I'm old enough to remember when people said the same sort of thing about ALL Japanese products.....good QC takes just a while to develop...
Old 07-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #33

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
HI RUN is brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
That's weird.... all the tire trouble mentioned here and not ONE brand listed. So if there's a "pattern" suddenly shows up (as with the case with Marathons years ago), it will be missed and this could happen to MANY other RV'ers. Not good in my opinion.
HI-RUN is the brand that came on the Parkliner. Not sure it was a brand issue, but we are switching to maxxis soon.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I did alot of studying-up on "brands" before purchasing my MAXXIS but I can assure you "HI-RUN" never came up in the scope!

You'll like the MAXXIS. I ordered online and asked for the date. I got what I asked for- the newest tires they had in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
HI-RUN is the brand that came on the Parkliner. Not sure it was a brand issue, but we are switching to maxxis soon.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #35

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Cannot get the maxxis brand tires in time so may have to get Vanguard radial 6 ply. Hope they are better than the Hi-Run tires that came with the Parkliner. We have a C load rating.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote