Tire Cover Discolored - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Tire Cover Discolored

For some reason my Scamp store tire cover is turning brown! Not a happy camper. It almost seems as if the tire is staining it. I tried dish soap and water using a scrub brush with no positive results.

Anyone know what I can use to clean the tire cover? And hopefully tips to prevent future staining.

Cover gets a some morning sun from the side but is in shade much of the day and while the covered tire has never been used it is not new so I would not expect off gassing or residue from manufacture.

Nice white shiny trailer, with a 4 month old tire cover that looks like the inside of an unwashed coffee cup.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
For some reason my Scamp store tire cover is turning brown! Not a happy camper. It almost seems as if the tire is staining it.
From what I've read, that's exactly what's happening. The outgassing of the rubber is being absorbed by the vinyl. There is no fix for an already stained cover.

To prevent it from happening, I've read where some wrap the spare in thin plastic... like a bag that your clothes come in from the dry cleaners .... prior to putting on the cover.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #3

Michigan
Let me get this, spare tire cover gets ruined by covering a tire.

Sigh. Well live and learn I guess. I may just spray paint the darn thing white if I can't clean it. Don't think the paint will last but might look ok for a bit. If it's already broke I can't screw it up.

Thanks Donna My post is now a warning to the rest of the community.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Paint it BLACK.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My Scamp spare tire cover has been on the trailer in outdoor storage (and travel) for a year now. When I removed the tire cover I noticed that the tire had been lined with plastic sheeting much like the cleaners' bags. There is very little discoloration but it did get dirty in the grooves formed by the elastic band. I simply threw the cover into the washing machine on the gentle cold cycle and then air-dried it outdoors. I tossed it in the dryer at low for a few minutes to release the wrinkles.

I removed the original spare tire cover with the intention of using it to make a pattern for sewing a new one. I used an outdoor flannel-backed tablecloth (52" x 70") to make one tire cover and a matching tablecloth for the interior dinette (all for $3). The elastic is bungee cord by the yard from OSH. The design is an over-all pattern of fall leaves. I'm very proud of the outcome, if I do say so myself. I'll post photos when I have them. This is an easy project for one who knows basic sewing. I plan to make two more tire covers for the side tires out of white flannel-backed vinyl from JoAnn's Fabrics (I'll remember to line the tires with plastic).

I will use the original Scamp spare tire cover under the new cover. When I travel I will show off the new cover. When in storage I will remove the new cover so as to protect it.
Happy Camping!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
This must be why my folks always wrapped the spare in aluminum foil before putting a cover on it.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm very proud of the outcome, if I do say so myself. I'll post photos when I have them. This is an easy project for one who knows basic sewing.....

I will use the original Scamp spare tire cover under the new cover. When I travel I will show off the new cover. When in storage I will remove the new cover so as to protect it.
Happy Camping!
As well you should be, that sounds like a really neat project to make your trailer custom.

On the "basic sewing" ummm with fishing line and a needle I can fix the ripped seam on a cloth chair badly. Let us just say I was a better student in shop than I was in home economics. For my final project I made a doll bed mattress for the little girl across the street, think really tiny pillow. I got a c less some points for the sewing machine needle that broke when I tried to determine exactly how powerful was this motor. Apparently not able to sew through a pencil.

Since the cover is already in badly discolored I'm going to try to wash it with whatever comes to mind that might work, the washing machine instructions will be a help. If it does not clean up then I'll do what you do and use it for storage protection. Or as suggested paint it black. Painting I can do.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
As a comparison, my no-name spare tire cover, purchased from an RV store, is still white and pristine. It does not have any vinyl etc. between it and the tire. Makes me wonder, different suppliers, different quality of vinyl?

I used those spray bombs sold for use on plastics. I've sprayed vinyl parts, subject to a harsh marine environment, and been impressed firstly by how well they adhered and secondly how long they stayed looking good.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As a comparison, my no-name spare tire cover, purchased from an RV store, is still white and pristine. It does not have any vinyl etc. between it and the tire. Makes me wonder, different suppliers, different quality of vinyl?

I used those spray bombs sold for use on plastics. I've sprayed vinyl parts, subject to a harsh marine environment, and been impressed firstly by how well they adhered and secondly how long they stayed looking good.

Ron
The concern I had about paint was that it would crack from the vinyl flexing. Any experience along those lines?

I could live without the scamp logo so I checked camping world and those are no more expensive. $20 may be worth it to not mess with the painting.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gilda, PLEASE post pictures of the cover you made!

Rodger , like Gilda I tried tossed my in the washing machine on gentle and it survived but many of the stains didnt come off - but I did have some luck using a Magic Eraser to get some stains caused by something other than the tire off that washing it didn't get off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
The concern I had about paint was that it would crack from the vinyl flexing. Any experience along those lines?

The vinyl parts that I've painted were thicker, flexible, but not as much as the tire cover material.

If I was going to try paint I'd do it with the cover already in place. My guess is that it'd work quite well but who knows?

On the other hand 20 bucks for a new cover seems almost not worth trying to save the old one. Also maybe one from a different supplier might last much longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I was just thinking-someone should make a hard cover-like the old continental kits-then you could decorate it however you wanted.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Michigan
Well I'm going to take a stab at testing multiple cleaning products on it this weekend. I'll post what I try. And if anything actually works.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Saw 2 Jeep covers this morning, Both Black.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
For some reason my Scamp store tire cover is turning brown! Not a happy camper. It almost seems as if the tire is staining it. I tried dish soap and water using a scrub brush with no positive results.

Anyone know what I can use to clean the tire cover? And hopefully tips to prevent future staining.

Cover gets a some morning sun from the side but is in shade much of the day and while the covered tire has never been used it is not new so I would not expect off gassing or residue from manufacture.

Nice white shiny trailer, with a 4 month old tire cover that looks like the inside of an unwashed coffee cup.
2 good options,,,the first is interior restoration paint made for cars. it will change color on fabrics and door panels,,,should fix up that cover real nice.
the second,,,go to michigan.gov and the pure michigan website the store there has a beautiful "pure michigan" tire cover.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for asking for photos. I don't have photos now of my new wheel cover yet. I will post them some time in the future as the trailer is housed 1 hour away from my home.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote