Tire pump - do you have one in your trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Fun Finder (X139)
I'm taking an informal survey of other trailer owners.

I would like to purchase a tire pump for our trailer that runs from the SUV cigarette lighter. In case the tires get low, so we don't have to tow the darned thing to the closest gas station.

My wife thinks it's unnecessary, that no one else does that, and that it will just take up storage room.

What are your thoughts? Do you have an electric tire pump in your trailer in case the tires get low?

Thanks!
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
[Do you have an electric tire pump in your trailer in case the tires get low?
Yes.

I had an electric pump that gave up the ghost after 12 years. I put my bicycle floor pump in the truck for the last trip (thank God I didn't have to use it ).

I will be buying an electric inflator prior to the next excursion.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I have onboard air for the air bags that I can "T" into. Does that count?
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Aliner
Yes, we have one and we love it. We use it every time we get ready to go somewhere to make sure our tires are properly inflated.

It's probably why our cheap Duro tires have lasted 3-1/2 years and lots of miles without problems.

Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I carry an inexpensive air pump that works off the cigarette lighter plug all the time in my tow vehicle (whether i have the camper with me or not).. I also carry inexpensive tire repair plugs and the tool so if i get a flat i just throw a plug in the hole with some rubber tire glue cut it off even with a knife and air it back up ....done and i don't even take the tire off the vehicle.
someone showed me years ago that if you don't have the tire plugs just take a sheet metal screw off your vehicle somewhere and screw it into the leak on the tire.... I did it a few times and it amazingly doesn't leak but i fix it the right way when i get back home.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I carry a cheap one. Its 12volts. Paid about $10.00CDN
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have one of those small cheap ones. We have an outlet in the trailer. Just plug it in the trailer, cord out the window and we can air up the trailer tires. Fred did say we have an outlet at the rear of the van so the cord would reach the trailer tires.

We have used it often. We go up over mountains, from 100 degrees to 60 degrees, and our trailer tire pressure changes. It is nice to have it handy for when we want it. Would hate to have to look for air if I really needed it.

We do prefer to use the gas station high pressure thingy when needed, but the little one gives us peace of mind.

We have 30,000 miles on our trailer tires and the look really good still, because we keep them properly inflated.

Have your wife jack up the trailer, take off the tire and run it in to a station if she doesn't want one of these cheap little things.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Yep, I have one. I use it at home to keep tire pressure up when necessary and take it with me on trips, too. I bought a small metal one-more expensive than necessary, I suppose
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I carry one in my tow vehicle all the time. Also always carry other emergency-type supplies -- this includes tools, supplies, orange vest and first aid. In winter we also carry extra warm clothes, blanket and a means for heat.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Yes, I always carry a small cheap 12 volt pump. It does not get used much but I am sure glad to have it when I do need it. The cord does not reach from my car to the trailer, so I just plug it into my 12 volt battery pack/booster cable (my Trillium does not have an onboard battery). The pumps are so small and cheap that I carry one in each vehicle.
Will M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check this out, It's an All-In-One unit

Air Compressor, It's built in and self powered
The unit has it's own battery that U can use to augment your egg battery.
You can Jump Start your TV and you can plug in a 120VAC device such as a PC.
You can use it to augment your egg 12VDC battery.

I purchased mine when it was on sale for $69.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-portab...pack-96157.html
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I have one that I've had for over 10 years but it's 120v. Burned several of the 12v ones up before that but probably my fault for blowing up rafts or something. I generally just check everything before we leave home. I guess if i was going 1000's of miles it would be good to have one along. In fact I have a 12v to 120v converter come to think of it.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Yes I carry a 12 volt in my TV with tire plugs and glue. But at the risk of hijacking this thread, sometimes I need to do a winterizing on the fly and wondered if the little 12 volt pumps could be used to blow out the water lines? Any thoughts?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Yes I carry a 12 volt in my TV with tire plugs and glue. But at the risk of hijacking this thread, sometimes I need to do a winterizing on the fly and wondered if the little 12 volt pumps could be used to blow out the water lines? Any thoughts?
Tamid
I started a new thread to address your winterizing concerns. I think its a good question.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
I carry an inexpensive air pump that works off the cigarette lighter plug all the time in my tow vehicle (whether i have the camper with me or not).. I also carry inexpensive tire repair plugs and the tool so if i get a flat i just throw a plug in the hole with some rubber tire glue cut it off even with a knife and air it back up ....done and i don't even take the tire off the vehicle.
someone showed me years ago that if you don't have the tire plugs just take a sheet metal screw off your vehicle somewhere and screw it into the leak on the tire.... I did it a few times and it amazingly doesn't leak but i fix it the right way when i get back home.
Joe
The off roaders take tubes of super glue with them to fix flats. Stick the tube of glue into the hole, squeeze out the whole tube, remove, and let the glue setup. Saw a guy do this out on the trail down at Big Bend. Once he aired up, he finished the trail and drove home. Same principle as the sheet metal screws. I think I'll throw a few screws in the box with the super glue. Thanks for the tip.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Like the tip about the super glue.... never thought of that but an air compressor of any type is still mandatory to finish the job.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I carry Harbor Freight's finest 12 v air compressor, mostly to inflate the auxiliary air bags I installed on the back of both our pickup and Jimmy. I removed approx 1/2 the leaves of the leaf springs and then use the air bags to level the vehicle. Makes 'em ride almost like a Cadillac!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote