tire repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
tire repair

My 2016 Scamp 13 inch tire has a nail in it.
Every tire repair place said they do not repair trailer tires.
How are you repairing new tires with a nail in it???

Thanks for the help
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You replace it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Glenn is correct. If you want an incorrect repair you shove one of those plugs in that looks like a piece of rope. A good repair is you use a special drill to ream out the hole, pull a rubber plug through, grind it smooth on the inside and a patch over that and a sealer on the patch. That's standard procedure on big truck tires and why sometimes you see big chunks of tire tread along the road.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I can't think of a reason to exclude trailer tires from being repaired just because they are trailer tires. Some tire damage is not repairable for safety reasons. A nail puncture close to the edge of the tread should not be repaired because the patch would be partially on the sidewall of the tire and the sidewall flexes so the patch could fail. If the tire is too old (judgement call) or the tread depth is below the legal limit it cant be repaired. If the tire is worn badly on one side and has plenty of tread on the other side, it still can't be repaired because of legal requirements.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've had 6 tire "nails" in 16 years.

We carry a plug kit with us from Walmarts. It comes with a hand reamer and a plug insertion tool. We pull out the nail or screw after letting a little air out, ream the hole a little and push a plug in. (Plugs are basically a cord with some rubber like goop on them.)

We cut off the portion that protrudes from the top side near the surface of the tire, anything above the surface will wear away. We fill the tire with air (we carry a small 12 volt compressor). We put a little water on it to see if it leaks. We re-install the tire. There has never been a problem with a repaired tire on our vehicles.

It's comforting to know that when we're away from anywhere we are able to make simple repairs that have worked, every time.

I should note when we re-mount the tire we torque the lug nuts. As well we have pressure sensors on our tires and see leaks before they go literally flat, Ginny's job to watch the tire sensor display when we're driving.

Of course a previously abused or fully used tire should not be repaired, however you shouldn't be driving on it. We check our tires before every significant trip, including pressure and wear,and replace tires that wear oddly,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Been doing it the same way as Honda every since those self pluggers have come out and have Never had a problem. The kit comes with the reamer.

If you try it and the tire still goes flat then it's time for a new tire.

Back in the 50s, we use to put a BOOT inside the tire but I don't think anyone is doing that today.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Seems to me that if tire repair places won't do it, that is for safety reasons. That particular tire is at issue, not that it is a trailer tire.
We have no idea how old it is or in what condition, but we love to give advice.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Seems to me that if tire repair places won't do it, that is for safety reasons...
Or liability reasons… which is not quite the same thing.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a repairable tire failure. Ever. There was always some reason I had to have a new tire. I was kind of surprised when my wife had a nail in the first tread groove of near-new Michelins (1.5" in from the edge of the tread) I was told they would not repair it because it was too close to the sidewall. A brand new identical Michelin was $16 after the warranty adjustment, so I shrugged my shoulders and coughed up...

We live in the post-Firestone world.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Or liability reasons… which is not quite the same thing.

Come to think of it, I haven't had a repairable tire failure. Ever. There was always some reason I had to have a new tire.

We live in the post-Firestone world.
Funny enough I had a Firestone tire that was nearing the end of its tread life repaired at the tire shop in Bandon Oregon last year after it developed a slow leak due to a nail puncture.

Had a less than new Marathon trailer tire fixed locally the other day as well.

I would want to know the actual reason why the tire shop would not repair a new trailer tire before i stuck a plug in it myself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After reading a thread where Norm talked of repairing tires, I decided to carry a small air pump and a repair kit. While I have spares for both the truck and the trailer, it's nice to have options. Besides, the air pump let's me add air where I want rather than having to maneuver to a gas station pump. The repair kit has yet to see use. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #11

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Do you mean you did not carry air pump before???
Old 04-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Do you mean you did not carry air pump before???
That's correct.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm a tire paranoid guy. I never have old tires, or worn tires on our trailer or tow vehicle. I regularly adjust air pressure and monitor trailer tire pressure as we drive.

I carry the plug kit because we often travel places where there is no local repair place.

It works for common nail and screw repairs.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I carry the plug kit because we often travel places where there is no local repair place.

It works for common nail and screw repairs.
Over the years I used those plug kits many times on our cars. A couple of years ago we had a flat on the truck (2013) and its TPMS reported immediately and saved me lot of grief and cost. I fixed the tire right on the rim, pumped it up and was on the way. This was on the gravel section of the Translabrador Highway. I think it was a sharp rock, or a sliver of steel from the blade of one of those constantly used graders. There are not many people around. Service stations? None.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have used the patch kits, but always worried about the damage that might be visible on the inside. I prefer to patch from the inside when possible, but I will use the plug if I am off and don't have access to my shop stuff.
When we lived n Texas we used a tire company that sold a road hazard warranty and I think we could have driven the Prius forever on the tires we bought. We lived on a dirt road that had a neighbor in the finish carpentering trade with a trailer and evidently open nail boxes.
We took in slow leak tires and never did they fix one, new tire each time.
Additional cost $0.00.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #16

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
It seems to me that almost every summer I go through a tire. We drive a lot. I always carry a tire plug kit and a 12v pump. Comes in handy when you are way out in the backcountry exploring.
I always figure the plug is good enough to get me to a tire shop or worse case back home. I always have a spare tire too but I'd rather drive on a plugged tire than a donut (compact spare).
I would guess the tire shop in question was more concerned about the liability of repairing a tire than anything else. From their perspective it is likely not worth the hassle to get a few bucks for a repair.
Myself, I never skimp on tires. They are what keeps you (and your trailer) on the road. Buy good ones, replace them when they are damaged. Don't cheap out when safety is on the line.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote