tires 13 vs 14 inches - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #21

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Doesn't begin to answer your tire question but it's interesting to note that our 17 ft EggCamper has the same size tires as our 31 ft Kodiak. Though the Kodiak does have 4 of them. Regarding a fiberglass propane tank, when having propane installed in our EggCamper I asked my local RV place about a fiberglass one and was told they weigh only a few pounds less than steel and are much more expensive. I went with one 20 lb steel. With 20 lbs of propane and its tank plus two batteries on the tongue our Buick Enclave drops only about 1to 1 1/2 inches when hitched.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #22

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I upgraded my 13's for 14's a couple of weeks ago for my Trillium. I also plan on rotating my spare, so I purchased 3 new rims/tires. One other suggestion, I'm keeping my older 13's and putting them on in the winter. That way my new 14's will be off the trailer and sitting in a dry garage during Canada's 6 months of winter when I'm not using the trailer.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #23

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Bygones?

jack
Absolutely bygones, and I'm sorry I came on as ungrateful and probably snotty as well. I'm doing a piss poor job of coping with dad's death this past December, feeling rushed and inadequate with all the blasted paperwork, hating my ignorance for getting my life in order so I can move on. I'd "almost" come to grips with mom's death in 2010 (or so I thought) and then wham, round two with dad's death and incredible stress with getting everything sorted out with his affairs so I can evaluate my own chaotic affairs. These are life-altering things all of us have gone through or will go through, and I'm no role model for doing it properly.

My overall decency towards others has taken a hit and I better get it together before I alienate everybody who is offering a helping hand. I need the goodwill of others more than ever before, and I better keep reminding myself of that fact by showing appreciation for much needed advice, etc. Believe it or not, I used to have at least average people skills. Who knew, eh? Anyway, let the healing begin! (said I to me) ... so the next phase of life can begin with good cheer, hope, and a sense of adventure (oh, and winning a modest lotto would be terrific, too).

Sharon

PS - Wait til you folks see my next round of questions. My ignorance of all-things-fiberglass-travel-trailer is being etched in stone, right here on our beloved forum.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #24

Texas
Though a more expensive alternative in the short run, I think I like the idea of buying three new 14" inchers now and doing a regular rotation to prolong the life of all tires, as someone suggested.

Do the 14s" weigh a lot more than the 13s"? What I'm really asking is, will hanging a 14" off the back as a spare cause any problems?

S.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Sharon, Trailers tires almost never wear out. They get too old and need to be replaced. Some replace at 3 years, others at 5 years. Exposure to sun has a lot to do with it. Get a cover for your spare, and when your trailer is parked cover the tires.
My point being, the act of rotating your tires, will likely not extend their life much. Also, a smaller spare is kinda like the space saver spare on a car. No real problem, just looks funny. But only if someone takes a look at both sides of the trailer.
If cost is a concern, a 13" spare might make sense, even if you have 14" wheels on the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #26

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
While rotating tires might not extend their life much, I personally don't like throwing out something that was never used. At least if I rotate I know each tire was used at some point and it doesn't feel like a waste when all three are replaced.

Rotating also allows you to test the tire, a spare used once and failing won't be much good and likely won't have any warranty left if it's a manufacturer defect.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm really old skool. I remember when I was a kid my dad never bought more than four tires for our car. He always took the best of the four that was coming off and made that the spare. He said the spare was only to be used to get us to the tire store. If you rotate your tires, and that means you do it, not just say you will, then buy three tires. Otherwise, I'd say buy two of the best tires you can afford and the cheapest spare you can get... it would only be used to get you to the tire store! Often folks just buy three mediocre tires.. that doesn't make sense to me YMMV

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #28

Texas
Donna, you and several others have said that -- and since I need to be frugal but smart, I will buy 2 tires only.

It's very difficult to figure which tires are "best" since most are now made in Asia, usually China but not always. I expect I'll get the kenda radials, 205/75/14, since they come installed on a wheel.

S.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
It's very difficult to figure which tires are "best" since most are now made in Asia, usually China but not always. I expect I'll get the kenda radials, 205/75/14, since they come installed on a wheel.

S.
Can't help you there Sharon. I live in Les Schwab country. And since I travel were there seems to be a Les Schwab in every city... that's what I'll buy. My trailer currently is running Goodyear Marathons. Never had a problem when them, but they're also 15" tires. After all this time, I've come to the conclusion alot of tire problems occur when the asphalt is HOT. We don't see much of that here in the Pacific NorthWET.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If trailer tires really do magically self-destruct at 6 years of age as some claim, an old tire used as a spare will fail on the way to the tire store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...He said the spare was only to be used to get us to the tire store. If you rotate your tires, and that means you do it, not just say you will, then buy three tires. Otherwise, I'd say buy two of the best tires you can afford and the cheapest spare you can get... it would only be used to get you to the tire store!
I understand and appreciate this reasoning. On the other hand, just as the plan to rotate three tires makes sense only if you follow through with it, this plan means that in case of a failure you will slowly and carefully proceed directly to the tire store. Temporary spares that come with cars are supposed to be used the same way, but I often see people in the morning commute driving at regular highway speed (not the max 50 mph / 80 km/h clearly marked on the tire)... and I doubt they are headed to a tire store.

If you do get a flat on a trip, do you wait for another carefully selected web-order or on-sale tire to arrive, or just pay whatever Fred's Tire in Nowhereville wants for an almost-matching replacement?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Do the 14s" weigh a lot more than the 13s"?
A retailer (Princess Auto) of Carlisle load range C ST tires on steel wheels lists the combined weight as follows:
ST175/80R13 29.3 lb
ST205/75R14 40.44 lb
They don't sell ST185/80R13

Quote:
I expect I'll get the kenda radials, 205/75/14, since they come installed on a wheel.
Lots of trailer tires are sold complete with the wheel, especially by on-line retailers, and by stores which do not have facilities to mount tires on wheels. Princess Auto is an example of both, but is not in Texas; I'm sure there are local examples in most places.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
IMHO, if a 14" fits, the only con to an existing 13" is buying new wheels. I'm not saying you can't get them, but I think 13" trailer tires are going to be a dying breed.

I believe you can't over tire a trailer, although it can affect ride, to a degree. I went from 13's to 10 ply rated 15's, but it's a bigger camper, also. 14's will do you fine and sounds like others have fit them. 14's should be much easier to find on hand, if you need one on the road.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I often see people in the morning commute driving at regular highway speed (not the max 50 mph / 80 km/h clearly marked on the tire)... and I doubt they are headed to a tire store.
With all the space saver spares at the local pick and pull, I have considered using four of these on the poop fly, my daily driver. Five if you include the spare. I don't go above 80 km/h on my commute. Might look kinda funny. It would mean no more trips to Seattle though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #34

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My problem with space savers is they never have air in the damn things.

Speaking of which, I need to find a junkyard wheel for the car. When I change tires, I'm going to have an old tire put on it, and throw out the space saver.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #35

Texas
I agree Jared. It's hard to justify putting new money into tires that are darn near impossible to find anymore. I'm also hoping getting radials will soften the ride a bit. One can hope, anyway...

S.

PS -- this goes under your previous post, not this post. Crazy blog.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #36

Quote:
PS -- this goes under your previous post, not this post. Crazy blog.
There is a "Display Mode" drop-down menu at the right side near the top of the page. Although the default is to simply display the newest post last, it sounds like you want threaded mode, which is also available. I don't use threaded mode, because most posters don't attach their posts to the relevant post.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
With all the space saver spares at the local pick and pull, I have considered using four of these on the poop fly, my daily driver. Five if you include the spare. I don't go above 80 km/h on my commute. Might look kinda funny. It would mean no more trips to Seattle though.

One of the car magazines - I think it was Road&Track - was in a contest with other magazines to do the best customized car, and did an extra entry as a ridiculous low-rider... on space-savers.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
The original post question was 13" or 14" tires. Will 14" tires fit on my 13 foot Samp?
mmiller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #39

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
What problem going from 13" 4 hole to 14" 4 hole. I ask since I am replacing the original AL-KO axle with a new 3500 lb rated one and the only hub available is 5 lug.
Since I need to buy new wheels (tires too) now is the time to upgrade.
I am installing the Flexride adjustable axle and I can adjust ride height. The question is how much room for the extra diameter tires in the wheel well without raising the trailer too much?
I prefer to keep the center of gravity as low as possible to make the trailer handle better if possible.
Flexiride Rubber Torsion Axles
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I am installing the Flexride adjustable axle and I can adjust ride height.
Realize the Flexiride axle is NOT a direct replacement for the original Dexter axle. The suspension arms of the Flexiride are 4 1/2" long whereas the Dexter uses 6" long arms. You have to relocate the axle 1 1/2" forward (if your Scamp uses a leading arm configuration) or 1 1/2" back if it uses a trailing arm configuration.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires