tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
I ordered 3 mounted 175/80-13 tires from a local tire dealer . He said they would be Goodyear. Well, when they came in they were Milestar tires(made in Korea). I did not take them because I know nothing about them & felt they were of low quality.

What trailer (sc) tires are campers buying?

Don Meyer
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The ST rated tires I got were from Les Schwab with a name that told me nothing. Looked up the code and they were made in Israel as far as I could determine. No problems so far.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I bought my Goodyear Marathons on-line from Tirerack. The Marathons were made in New Zealand. Tom Trostel

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Marathon+Radial
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I had not heard of TowMaster tires by Greenball but on the recommendation of my local dealer, I tried them on my Casita. After four years, I’m still very pleased. They made the trip to Alaska and still look like new after more than 20,000 miles.
http://www.greenball.com/home.html
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Metal valve stems are a good investment too. Lost one tire three years ago due to a valve stem failing. Had a good friend lose one for the same reason..

Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
Towmaxs here outlasted 2 Goodyear Marathons now
side note all 3 Goodyears that came with the Casita all failed in 18 months last 2 within 500 miles of each other .
maybe a bad batch but iam still stuck with the bill and the mess
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I am running UHaul bias belt tires made by Goodyear in Indonesia, had them going on 4 years and not a wimper out of them. As for steel valve stems, I think they are still rubber where they enter and exit the rims, the so called rubber that your not sure about are steel on the inside with a rubber coating on the outside. If they were to break off they would both break in the same place, right at the rim. Both are inserted in the rim the same way, they start them from the inside, screw a thingy to the cap threads then lean the thingy on the rim to pull them through. Years ago the made a solid steel one threaded all the way down with a rubber seal then a round threaded nut to screw it down tight to the rim. I remember the rubber washers would deteriorate and the stem would fail. I have not seen these in 40-50 years. Oh yes, I'm still a bias belt fan when it comes to trailers
Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Bill stated

the so called rubber that your not sure about are steel on the inside with a rubber coating on the outside
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill I beg to differ with you. The rubber valve stems that I was refering to were rubber except for the threaded brass sleeve that the core and cap thread into and over. The area that passes through the rim is rubber and that is where they broke. I said they because the one on the other tire broke when the tire store owner applied slight sideways pressure on it.

I was relaying my personal experience to alert people to a possible cause of some of the on going tire problems .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill stated

Years ago the made a solid steel one threaded all the way down with a rubber seal then a round threaded nut to screw it down tight to the rim. I remember the rubber washers would deteriorate and the stem would fail. I have not seen these in 40-50 years
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill I'm really supprised that you have not seen any of them in 40 -50 years. That type valve stem is still made and they are used on many racing cars and heavy duty applications. They use synthetic washers now and have no problems with deterioration

Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires