Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: U-Haul
California
Tires

Hi all, It's me again, I decided the first thing I need to do is get new tires. My friend who is a mechanic said my axle was in remarkably good shape for it's age. Woo Hoo! So I stopped by Costco to see if I could order trailer tires and guess what? The Tire tech said we do not sell that size tire anymore. Arrgggh!

So now I have to figure out where to get trailer tires.

Suggestions Welcome

1984 U-Haul CT
Nrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have purchased trailer tires at Les Schwahb , Discount Tire, Big O tires, and have seen them on-line from etrailer.com.
I always go for the D range (over kill) rating, and have bought both bias belt as well as radial designed.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Les Schwab and Discount Tire- both carry them, I prefer Les Schwab but got good service from Discount Tire, too. Go for high speed trailer tires, make sure you aren't getting car tires.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
For a 13' trailer I wouldn't go any bigger than a C load rating. Going to a D or above increases the vibration transferred to the trailer body and the stuff inside.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: Nancy
Trailer: U-Haul
California
Tires

We dont have Les Schwab here in California but I will try discount tire. Thanks all, just really frustrated yesterday. Also discovered a dime size hole in the roof.
Nrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
What size tires do you have on your trailer now ? What size tires are you looking for ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Les Schwab and Discount Tire- both carry them, I prefer Les Schwab but got good service from Discount Tire, too. Go for high speed trailer tires, make sure you aren't getting car tires.
"High speed"... "trailer tires". Do those two phrases even go together? Nearly all trailer tires are rated only to 65 mph. But Goodyear Marathons can be overinflated an extra 10 psi and then run up to 75 mph, so is that what you mean when you say "high speed trailer tires"?

It's getting to be slim pickings on 13" tires other than ST (trailer) tires. But if a passenger tire with sufficient load capacity could be found, it likely would have a higher speed rating and would work fine.

A good tire store (one that specializes in tires) can suggest alternate sizes that would still work on your rims, so you may not have to limit yourself to the exact same size. I mean, if you have 165/80/13 now, it might be possible to go to 175/75/13 or some such... that's just a rough example.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Concern about speed rating is CA is a moot point where the towing speed limit is 55 MPH and, unless you have an unlimited fuel budget, is the MPG sweet spot when towing.

In CA, look up your local "America's Tire" store, the very best for anything tires and, if they haven't got what you need, they will have it tomorrow, next day at the latest.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"High speed"... "trailer tires". Do those two phrases even go together? Nearly all trailer tires are rated only to 65 mph. But Goodyear Marathons can be overinflated an extra 10 psi and then run up to 75 mph, so is that what you mean when you say "high speed trailer tires"?

It's getting to be slim pickings on 13" tires other than ST (trailer) tires. But if a passenger tire with sufficient load capacity could be found, it likely would have a higher speed rating and would work fine.

A good tire store (one that specializes in tires) can suggest alternate sizes that would still work on your rims, so you may not have to limit yourself to the exact same size. I mean, if you have 165/80/13 now, it might be possible to go to 175/75/13 or some such... that's just a rough example.

Not! likely to work fine.... ST tires have stiffer sidewalls than passenger car tires thus reducing potential for sway.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrody View Post
Hi all, It's me again, I decided the first thing I need to do is get new tires. My friend who is a mechanic said my axle was in remarkably good shape for it's age. Woo Hoo! So I stopped by Costco to see if I could order trailer tires and guess what? The Tire tech said we do not sell that size tire anymore. Arrgggh!

So now I have to figure out where to get trailer tires.

Suggestions Welcome

1984 U-Haul CT
Pep boys also cary trailer tires they should be all over California
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

Trailer tires are not rated TO 65mph, they're rated AT 65 mph, according to industry standard, big difference. Contact the respective tire manufacturer for the truth. Goodyear, maxxis, Carlisle, Hercules and I believe hi-run all allow up to 75 mph, some up to 85mph, even. This requires not running the tire at full weight capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Concern about speed rating is CA is a moot point where the towing speed limit is 55 MPH and, unless you have an unlimited fuel budget, is the MPG sweet spot when towing.

In CA, look up your local "America's Tire" store, the very best for anything tires and, if they haven't got what you need, they will have it tomorrow, next day at the latest.

Unless of course, they ever camp outside of CA.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Get radials from etrailer. Can't be beat!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Unless of course, they ever camp outside of CA.

For starters, the question was posted by someone living in California and second, why would anyone in California ever need to camp anywhere else anyway? LOL.....

But still, getting used to 55MPH, and staying at 55MPH in other states, saves a lot of gas and makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

I can't see any reason for towing at 65 or 75, much less any faster.

Other than heresay posts on the internet, I've yet to see any manufacturers written documentation of the alleged "Higher Speeds" for ST tires .

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
For starters, the question was posted by someone living in California and second, why would anyone in California ever need to camp anywhere else anyway? LOL.....

But still, getting used to 55MPH, and staying at 55MPH in other states, saves a lot of gas and makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

I can't see any reason for towing at 65 or 75, much less any faster.

Other than heresay posts on the internet, I've yet to see any manufacturers written documentation of the alleged "Higher Speeds" for ST tires .
Agree on the speed comment, and we can get radial ST tire and they ride so well; faster than 90kph "Canada" eh would only increase the gas usage a lot. Would rather slow down and enjoy the trip anyway.

Tags
tires