TIRES - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: You checked your tires? And they were HOW OLD?:
less than 5 years - good to go 12 80.00%
5-10 years - I'll squeak through another season 3 20.00%
10-15 years - I trust Good Sam to pick me up whenever wherever 0 0%
the tire gods love me 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Exclamation TIRES

Passing along DIY info after i was appalled to learn of the age of my tires after noticing a dry crack running around 25% of an edge, and talking to a new Casita friend at a campground this past week, chatting about blown tire road mishaps. ***Check all those letters & numbers on the sides of your tires NOW***: find the DOT codes, and the set of numbers (usually) in the following oval. Post-2000, the 4-digit numbers will be the WEEK and the YEAR of manufacture. Kermit's read 1504 on one, & 1104 on the other. We bought it in 2005, so the tires were new, mfg'd in the 11th & 15th weeks of 2004 The tread still looks like new so no worries, right? WRONG! Little tires go thru a lot of stressful spinning at 55mph on hot roads. Most recommendations are to replace at 6years, 10 years max regardless of tread. Mine were 14. Les Schwab will be seeing me Monday morning! Be safe out there y'all!
susan b. davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I have made it a goal to replace my trailer's tires every four years. I have failed miserably on the current set of tires. They are six years old and I should replace them now. Maybe next year!

--Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I have made it a goal to replace my trailer's tires every four years. I have failed miserably on the current set of tires. They are six years old and I should replace them now. Maybe next year!

--Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org
The general rule of thumb, at least what I've read from a couple manufacturers, is that they should be replaced every 5 years regardless of tread wear.

It's kind of hard to pull the trigger when you inspect 5 to 6 year old tires and they look great. But it's deterioration that you can't see I guess.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think it also depends where the tires spend their lives. Apparently exposure to sun and heat degrades tires. That's not an issue here in BC.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think it also depends where the tires spend their lives. Apparently exposure to sun and heat degrades tires. That's not an issue here in BC.
You're right. Very arid places with hot weather especially, like Arizona. Tires seem to last longer here in TX, because although it's hot, it's not as dry.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I voted in the first category because our trailer is new, but I expect I'll run on a six year replacement schedule, category two.

Three was funny.

But, I loved category four!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
on that note, do remember to check your spare, too. I just discovered the spare on the 2002 F250 I recently bought has a 2002 date code, EEEK.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan b. davis View Post
...Most recommendations are to replace at 6years, 10 years max regardless of tread. Mine were 14. Les Schwab will be seeing me Monday morning! Be safe out there y'all!
Glad you caught it before something bad happened. There was a post recently on a Scamp Facebook page from someone who also had very old tires, and they were not so lucky. They had a blow out and ended up with damage to the camper. It was only then that they learned that their tires were way past their expected operational lifetime.

In addition to replacing tires in 5-7 years, I am a big fan of using a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). See: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ist-84348.html

Can you get metal valve stems on your wheels while you are getting new tires? Metal valve stems are better if you decide to use valve mounted TPMS's so if you decide on a TPMS like I have, you will be all set with the metal valve stems.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Many people are fooled by "tread ware". Tread can be a good measure for tires on your daily drive. If check the dates you bought and replaced your daily drive tires it would probably be in the 5 to 6 year range. About the same range recommended for trailer tires. But trailer don't get the wear that a daily drive does.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
on that note, do remember to check your spare, too. I just discovered the spare on the 2002 F250 I recently bought has a 2002 date code, EEEK.
Good point. I wondered about the lifetime for vehicle spares since they are usually completely out of the sun. So I did a little research. Looks like a max of ten years is the going advice for vehicle spares.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires