Titleing a burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Burro
I am fill out the form for a VA title and they want to know the gross weight. empty weight, gvwr and the gcwr
can any one help me out? this is a 13 ft 1972 Burro. Also where would the vin no be on the trailer or a plate with make and model? or is this ols and small enough that these are not required?
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Rules vary by jurisdiction, and I don't know about Virginia, but currently here in Alberta the original manufacturer's serial number will do fine as a VIN. If there is no available unique number, you still need one and can't just make it up: a VIN of the current style is assigned for a fee (that's intended for homebuilt trailers). Here, size doesn't matter (in trailers...) - you still need the same registration.

Sorry, can't help with details specific to the Burro.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #3

I have the VIN No. from the old title. I was hopeing to find it on the trailer to double check and hopeing to find other info model weights ect.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Quote:
Rules vary by jurisdiction, and I don't know about Virginia, but currently here in Alberta the original manufacturer's serial number will do fine as a VIN. If there is no available unique number, you still need one and can't just make it up: a VIN of the current style is assigned for a fee (that's intended for homebuilt trailers). Here, size doesn't matter (in trailers...) - you still need the same registration.

Sorry, can't help with details specific to the Burro.

Hi Brian, Va. does require a title, however if you purchased and have a bill of sale they will make you a title and the vin. is required for the new title. Approx. empty wt. is 1000 lbs.
gross wt is optional meaning they ask you what you want your gross wt. to be. The vin should be on a metal tag on the trailer somewhere. Hope this helps. Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The VIN on your Burro will be located on the tongue on the street side about a foot aft of the coupler. It may stamped faintly, and may have corrosion or paint on it and require scraping, but it will be there. In the attached photo, the VIN is actually under the breakaway switch on my old '87 Burro 17'.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
VIN_location.jpg  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Not sure about VA but here in Michigan we needed the weight ANY weight. Took the Burro, with new axle, new floor, and new tires (no windows or any camping gear) to the local truck stop and had it weighed on the truck scale. We had our tow vehicle on one pad and the trailer tires on another pad. It cost $8 and it showed the weight of our tow vehicle and the weight of our trailer.

I took the documents to the Secretary of State 5 minutes before close on a Friday to get our license plates. We made it just in time so that we could get on the road on Sunday for our first camping trip.

The VIN was on the Ohio title. They asked me if I wanted a Michigan title and stated that I did not need one for a trailer under 2000 lbs (new Michigan law.) For an extra $15 to the State you can get a title and I went for it.

The manager at the truckstop we went to was very familiar with Secretary of State rules and provided all information and circled it on the documents. Check with your local truck stop with certified scales.
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #7

Yea I now have a legal trailer! I had to take it to be weighed (1160lb with ac and fridge) I didn't even have to strip the paint off for them to find the VIN. Took the make and model off the old title all the old decals are gone. Now off to pack If the weather holds might go overnight near by. Thanks for all your help

Tags
burro, license, registration, title