To Roof Vent, Or Not To Roof Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: To Roof Vent, Or Not To Roof Vent
Over the Toilet (center line of roof) 3 75.00%
Over the Shower (corner of trailer) 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

My Fiber Stream has a window in the bathroom, but it does little to add to comfort in there. In the summer, when I am running the Air Conditioner in the rest of the trailer, the bathroom is like a sauna, even with the window open.

There are several flat spots in the roof, so I do have some choice as to location. How far away must it be from the holding tank vents? The opening portion of the window is in the shower, and the fixed portion is in the toilet area. (The shower curtain hangs across the middle of the window.) Should I put the vent over the toilet or over the shower?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Frederick,
The only one I'm familiar with is the round one which Casita sells. It is between 2 & 3 feet from each of the plumbing vents, in the stock location, which is centered left/right on the front of our Casita, on the flat portion roughly 3 feet above the seam. From the inside, it's just inside the bathroom door on the ceiling.
Where will the 12V electricity come from? The vent came with an attached switch.
It has proven to be a weather-tight design.

Hope this helps,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There are a number of roof/deck vents out there with their own solar power -- Fortunately, the more you need the vent, the more likley it is that there is sun available to run it!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Fred
How about cutting a pass-through vent in the bathroom door?
That would maybe let some cooled air in there without leaving the door open which would be a certain problem.

I have just been out for 2 weeks in the Scamp and I know for sure the roof vents are indespensible when not using any air conditioning!
I tried to leave the windows closed at night annd get a breeze going with the roof vents and the bathroom front window which is very tiny.
As long as I left the bathroom door cracked open,I would get a little draw through the trailer.

The fiberstream is a much larger space to cool and that little window does little for me either.
I have even considered replacing the door with a curtain in the Fiberstream to try to even the temps out some.

I have a hard time believing that a roof vent in the bathroom at most 4 feet from the window will help much though.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I for one am not going to replace the Elixir vent for the third time. It leaks and breaks and discolors. I'll go with the Casita style and then convert the 9x9 opening to a skylight of my own design. It will not leak, count on it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about a fan in the bathroom window? I thought we had someone here on FiberglassRV that had done that and uploaded some pictures for us to view, but I can't find the topic (DANG!). I know it's been discussed on CasitaForum... cause I just looked vent fan for bathroom window. For those that can't view the topic, here's the link to the fans: Fans and coolers. Seems like a fan would certainly help and no hole in the roof
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote