Toilet Odor 2016 Scamp 13" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Question Toilet Odor 2016 Scamp 13"

Hello Everyone,

We survived our very first trip in our new Scamp, first time pulling a trailer, and found that everything worked remarkably well. But, we need some assistance from you seasoned folks regarding toilet odor. This is the first time the Dometic RV toilet has had any water in it, after using it about six times, urine only, the bathroom had the smell of urine in it. We did use some of the Dometic deodorizer (non-formaldehyde) in it, about an ounce. Everything looks okay, and we could not find any obvious places with leaks. What are we missing here, is this normal? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it was a fairly cool day, about 45 degrees out side.

Thank You Everyone!

Susan and Pierre
SusanandPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
The stuff I like is this.
http://tanktechsrx.com/product/tank-techs-rx/#reviews
It works great. You do have to fallow the directions to the letter.
I have been using it for two years now and I never smell any thing in my bathroom any more.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Not normal. Are you sure the vent pipe is open through the roof? Does the toilet bowl hold a small amount of water above the trap door after flushing?
Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Thank you Jason, I will pick up some of this. Susan
Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Hi Tom,

Bear in mind I am an amateur, are you talking about the ceiling vent in the bathroom? I did not open this because it was cold. And, yes, there was a small amount of water in the toilet after flushing. Thank You....

Susan
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Not normal. Are you sure the vent pipe is open through the roof? Does the toilet bowl hold a small amount of water above the trap door after flushing?
Scamp does not have a roof vent for the toilet.

Scamps have a small little vent that comes out on the side of the trailer in the same proximity as the bathroom toilet.

I am wondering if perhaps the issue with oder was due to not enough water in the and or a bit to much deodorizer was used in relation to the amount of water used - I know if I use to much deodorizer while the tank is still relatively empty it will stink up the bathroom on it own. When using the deodorizer that comes in the small packets for example I never put a full packet into the tank when starting out - only about 1/4 of it. Adding a bit more as the tank fills.

Check the instruction on the deodorizer but to me an oz of deodorizer would seem to be on the high side for the small toilet holding tanks with not much water in them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Depending on how sensitive your nose is it could be normal. My nose is sensitive enough that I have yet to go into a trailer that has a toilet that I can't smell.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We carry a toilet brush and every once in a while we put a little more water in the bowl, use the brush to make sure we hit any stray urine splashes that the normal flushing process doesn't hit (these toilets don't use as much water to flush so they don't rinse everything), and then flush that down. Seems to work better than just relying on small flushes each time.
Your bowl should also hold a small amount of water indefinitely, otherwise you may have something allowing water to drip slowly through the seal while allowing odors to come up.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandPierre View Post
Hello Everyone,

We survived our very first trip in our new Scamp, first time pulling a trailer, and found that everything worked remarkably well. But, we need some assistance from you seasoned folks regarding toilet odor. This is the first time the Dometic RV toilet has had any water in it, after using it about six times, urine only, the bathroom had the smell of urine in it. We did use some of the Dometic deodorizer (non-formaldehyde) in it, about an ounce. Everything looks okay, and we could not find any obvious places with leaks. What are we missing here, is this normal? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it was a fairly cool day, about 45 degrees out side.Thank You Everyone!
Susan and Pierre
You don't say it but it kind of sounds like you only put the deodorizer in the tank before using it. You need to add an inch or so of water in the black tank to start with when you're prepping it for use. Starting out with a dry tank will give you a bunch of problems, especially with solids. I normally add around 2" when I charge my tank and have never had an odor problem with it. Might want to try that next time and see if that will take care of it for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Look at the construction of these and you will see that the black water tank actually rests on the floor of the bathroom, with a seal around the hole that the drain goes through. So, there is a nice trap for any spills (be careful, boys!), between the floor and the tank. When you take a shower, you might want to wash the outside of the bowl and get some water between the floor and the tank. If it stagnates anywhere (between the tank and the wall) mop it up afterwards.

Deodorizers are just adding a new smell on top of the old one, in my humble opinion. No good.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
John and Marilyn, this is a great suggestion, I will make sure I do this next time we go out. Thank You!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Black tank treatment doesn't just deodorize. It lubricates valves and dissolves solids.
At least, that's what the label says. Click on the picture to enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
odor.jpg  

Tags
scamp