toilets! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
toilets!

I Have a 16' 2008 Scamp with a standard toilet.
I am curious about xchanging the current toilet for either a composting or incinolet toilet.
Any experience or recommendations out there?
Thanks
Juana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What is the reason to exchange it?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Arizona
toilets!

I'd like to exchange it because I don't want to use excess water. More eco-friendly. Most places we go don't have facilities or hook-ups.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #4

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I put a C-head composting toilet in my 13 ft, 1999 Scamp that had a privacy room but no shower or toilet. I loved it and could go months without emptying the solids. That was one person, using it for night time and emergency use.

When I ordered my new 16 ft Scamp, layout 4 in Feb of 2018, I ordered it with the shower, but no toilet. I now have the new Scamp, and installed another C-head in it. It fits great in the tiny side bath of the #4 layout, with the added benefit that it is extremely easy to remove when you want to take a shower, giving you plenty of room. Even the employees at the Scamp factory made this observation when I picked it up. I just returned last week from a 2 1/2 month trip to Florida, living full time in the Scamp. I still have not emptied the solid container of the C-head. No smell what so ever. Again, only part time use by one. I am fully sold on the benefits of a composting toilet and the C-head in particular. Cheaper, simpler, and it works!
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Illinois
Another vote for the C' Head composting toilet. This will be our 4th season with ours in our Scamp. We have no complaints.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Arizona
toilets!

Thanks so much folks!
Now I've got to see about removing the existing flush toilet.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juana View Post
Thanks so much folks!
Now I've got to see about removing the existing flush toilet.

That's easy. You just flush it down the toilet.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Have not used either,but don't think the incinerating toilet is even an option if you're camping with no hook ups. From what I've read they require a dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuit and when running go for 1 1/2-2 hours. Just wouldn't work with any solar set up and would need a pretty good size generator if you where attempting that route.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Kustom Koach
British Columbia
From a boating friend of mine that replaced his marine head with a composting toilet.
You may find this helpful...https://www.gudgeonblog.ca/installing-the-head/
baldymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
An inclonet takes a lot of power and time. A toilet that has compostable materials in it works better.

However you do need to be aware that no composting is going to be happening in your portable composting toilet. You use that type of material in it to cover over the poop to stop the odor from coming back up at you. The material you use as a covering does help remove the moisture out of the feces. Essentially like a cat covering his poop in a litter box that you that empty regularly into the trash. Except it won't get as stinky because urine is not mixed in with the poop.

It takes a long time to compost things, it does not happen in the length of time between emptying the bin in an portable compost toilet. Just think of them as a "litter box" as that is more accurate.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Because urine must be separated from the solids, I can understand why a composting toilet would work well for men. Women not so much. I have ZERO interest in constantly cleaning the diverter. And if you don't, it does smell. Using water to wash the diverter defeats the purpose IMHO of it's benefit to female boon dockers.

And as a female who gets up in the middle of the night to pee (TMI) how does a composting toilet benefit me?

I can leach off the gray water for use in my flushy.

Why am I missing?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
It you are a Type-2 diabetic taking Metformin or have had a cholecystectomy or both, I wouldn't bother with a "composting" cat box.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have ZERO interest in constantly cleaning the diverter. And if you don't, it does smell. Using water to wash the diverter defeats the purpose IMHO of it's benefit to female boon dockers

Why am I missing?
Actually, I don't understand your point here. Most women find using a composting toilet more "normal" than a man does. You just sit down and go, with a bit of attention to positioning properly. Men have to get used to "sitting to pee" and also, have to make sure the junk is aimed right.

Regarding cleaning, a few spritzes form a spray bottle with diluted vinegar, is all the "flush" the diverter needs. Other than that, weekly cleaning like ANY toilet requires is all that is needed.

The benefit to female boondockers is the same as it is for men. You can go MUCH longer before you have to empty a composting toilet - at least the solids. I'll give you, the urine has to be emptied every couple of days, but is quite easy and can be done in most boondocking locations. The solids can be emptied into a 5 gal bucket with a lid for later disposal when it is convenient. and it takes no water to flush, so you don't have to mess with transferring gray water, some of that can get pretty stinky too.

A composting toilet, properly maintained (very simple) doesn't smell. If you mess up, and it does smell, just empty it early and start over.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, okay so the two men I've talked to about composter both admitted they never use it for liquids. Since liquids have to be dumped, they prefer the direct method OR a jug and don't have to deal with disposing of the TP (under that circumstance) either...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote