Tongue dimensions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Tongue dimensions

Haven't driven over to pick up our new Boler 1300, but am planning to use a Fulton folding tongue hinge , and perhaps a one foot longer tongue for easier back-ups? Is the tongue 2"x 3" or 3"X 3"? I am guessing the smaller of the two...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are 2 types of couplers commonly used. They are straight and A frame. Most travel trailers have A frame couplers. Most boat trailers have straight couplers. I am not absolutely sure, but I don't think this hinge works on anything but a straight coupler. It would work on a boat trailer since most of them have a straight coupler and since the axle is mounted way back on the frame on a boat trailer, tongue weight is less than a travel trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Tongue dimensions

I realize that I would have to remove A mount and weld in a T piece for extension and folding hinge coupler. Shouldn't be TOO dear, yes?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Why

Why? Because I want a longer tongue for easier backing up and being longer, a folding tongue will let our Boler fit into our garage easier. The hitch has no single rail to mount to; It is at the junction of the A frame, that a T extension would provide.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
I realize that I would have to remove A mount and weld in a T piece for extension and folding hinge coupler. Shouldn't be TOO dear, yes?
I am with Glenn. Why change it? Personally can not see how it would have much of a change on backing up. These small trailers are pretty simple to back up as it is.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Extension

I was under the impression that these Bolers back up just like those Harbor Frieght folding $250 trailers do. Am I mistaken on this? Longer tongues ease in backing. It won't jackknife with a quarter turn of the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #8

Gentle and slow. That's the ticket.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Longer tongues ease in backing.
That's true. But it's relative. A lot longer tongue will make a larger difference in slowing the trailer's swing to one side. But it may be a lot of work for a small practical gain in backing. I've built several trailers and always made sure the tongue was long.

One thing that I've noticed is that many travel trailer tongues are too short for my liking. Meaning you can hit the body with the corner of your TV while backing and you cannot open the tailgate of a pickup while attached without hitting the jack or propane bottle. On some, you cannot upgrade to larger batteries or tanks because of the limited length. My Ollie has a very long tongue and I really like it. No jack interference and it also acts as a step to get into the truck bed with the gate open.

When you get your Boler hooked up and home, look at it carefully and measure all the important dimensions relative to your TV. Look at possible upgrades you might consider relative to the tongue. If you are cramped for parking space, the folding tongue seems like a practical idea and it might be time to upgrade the coupler too. There are also swing away jacks that can be mounted farther back on the tongue to help with design changes.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I was under the impression that these Bolers back up just like those Harbor Frieght folding $250 trailers do. Am I mistaken on this? Longer tongues ease in backing. It won't jackknife with a quarter turn of the wheel.
Any short coupled trailer like our FGTT's are going to be easier to jack knife than some thing 30+ foot long. Any of your steering motions have to be much smaller moves cuz your trailer will react very quick.
I can see your idea of a folding coupler for garage fit but have another idea for you. My neighbor who worked for a trailer builder redesigned the coupler for his boat. I have no pics but if you look at your pic of the a frame, he cut off the coupler, fabbed and welded a 2 x 2" receiver to the a frame. Like your stinger mount. He made up a new stinger with a coupler that was pinned to the a frame. He did it to make it harder for someone to steal the boat (good idea) but it would answer both your ideas for length and garage fit.
I've posted this info before when folks are talking of theft deterrent ideas. I know I did a double take when I first saw his trailer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #11

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I can see your idea of a folding coupler for garage fit but have another idea for you. My neighbor who worked for a trailer builder redesigned the coupler for his boat. I have no pics but if you look at your pic of the a frame, he cut off the coupler, fabbed and welded a 2 x 2" receiver to the a frame. Like your stinger mount. He made up a new stinger with a coupler that was pinned to the a frame. He did it to make it harder for someone to steal the boat (good idea) but it would answer both your ideas for length and garage fit.
That's a very good idea. My Ollie has something similar, but it's not used for security. Mine has a 3" OD tongue that slides into a 3" ID tube that is part of the frame. This allows adjustment not only of the length, but the tongue weight to a certain extent as it has quite a bit of travel. It's held in place with a 3/4" cross bolt and nylock nut.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 AM   #12

While I accept that sometimes it pays to think outside the box, I do wonder why one can't accept that the conventional probably is the best solution.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Any mechanical design is a compromise, and by definition, is not right for everyone. Short tongues are a problem for the reasons I mentioned and Butsky, in particular, has limited parking space and some maneuverability concerns.

Conventional isn't always right for everyone, nor should it be accepted as best simply because the manufacturer decided it was best for their interests. While out camping and looking at other's rigs, I see lots of modifications on tongues and rear bumpers because people have figured out how to make their rigs more practical and they went ahead and made the changes.

It's the same with interiors or charging systems. Why just accept what was built years ago as "probably the best"? When you have an idea and the ability to make your own rig better for your own purposes, go for it. It's exactly what so many posters are talking about and doing, right here. It's part of the reason these trailers are so fun to own. It's what makes them work so well while camping. It's a creative outlet that pays back before you even leave home.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I saw that John when I looked at the Ollies. Reminded me of the tongue extensions we used on some sailboats with fixed keels for launching.
I agree with you too Glenn, "run what you brung" but the OP was trying to shorten things up for the garage fit. I doubt you could really extend it out far enough to make a noticeable difference. Short coupled trailers just take finesse .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tongue dimensions

You might consider using it for a while as-is. Then you can decide if making this change is worth the trouble and expense. It would also make sense to assess the overall condition of the current frame and axle.

I would be more impressed by a Boler that sat on an all-new, reinforced frame than one on a modified 40-year-old frame- with or without a folding/removable tongue extension.

Here's one member's journey through frame assessment & rebuild: Project Boler. The rest of the thread is a treasure trove of ideas, by the way.

I am not nearly as experienced as others here, but I have never had any trouble putting my Scamp where I wanted. I believe you said your trailer appeared to have jackknife damage, so that may be what is motivating this modification. Jackknifing when backing is almost always a result of being in a hurry. And the tongue extension won't help with that, because it's about mental focus, not geometry.

Just food for thought... It's your trailer in the end!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
When I repaired my Scamp 16 frame I built an extended frame to do two things.
1 Reduce tongue load
2. Make the frame full width all the way to the front to give room for a new front bath and black tank.
C. Give more space to put stuff in front (Like a mini split heat pump compressor) negating some of #1.
iv. Improve handling and backing with a longer tongue more stable.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote