Tongue Jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
My wife and I recently purchased a 2004 13' Scamp, which is a big step up for us. We've been teardrop campers, which meant we could easily push the tear around to overcome my (lack of) backing skills. The Scamp has a welded steel foot on the swivel-type tongue jack (which is welded to the side of the tongue). I talked with the factory and was advised that even if I could change to a caster type jack, they advised against it due to torque loads imposed on the tongue when the caster is swung out to the side. So, my question is, would it be worth making temporary roller to put under the jack for pushing the camper around the camping spot, or just suck it up and resign myself to backing it into position with the car like the big boys? I bought a trailer dolly for garage use, but don't really want to drag it along.

Thanks,
Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Parker, I have both the stock jack and a jack with a wheel. There is a bit of stress on the wheeled jack that can be made worse if you are wheeling around on dirt or gravel. But having both really adds a lot of convienience. If I wear out the wheeled jack, a replacement is only around $30 at Tractors Supply.
ConwayBob
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Parker, I have both the stock jack and a jack with a wheel. There is a bit of stress on the wheeled jack that can be made worse if you are wheeling around on dirt or gravel. But having both really adds a lot of convienience. If I wear out the wheeled jack, a replacement is only around $30 at Tractors Supply.
ConwayBob
Bob,

You mean you have the stock jack on one side (which is welded on mine) and the wheeled jack bolted to the other side? Interesting idea!

Parker
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is what I used on the bottom of my jack. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90991 Works perfect. I only use it on a cement driveway to move the trailer.(13"Scamp)
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Parker,

Just practice backing it up. It's really easy. You can learn to park this little trailer in your back pocket. Get out in a big parking lot and "go for it". You'll be backing like a pro in no time at all.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Parker,

Just practice backing it up. It's really easy. You can learn to park this little trailer in your back pocket. Get out in a big parking lot and "go for it". You'll be backing like a pro in no time at all.
Chris,

I appreciate your vote of confidence! I almost mastered backing a 4X8 teardrop, and everyone says it's hard backing a small trailer, so maybe the Scamp will be a little easier.

Thanks,
Parker
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I went from a 13 to 17. The 17 is by far easier to back. I actually parallel park it in my driveway. If I can do this, you can too (I stink at backing!)
Attached Thumbnails
oct22fire.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
My Boler 13 ft came with a wheel or a skid plate that could be put on the bottom of the Jack that is welded in the "V" of the tongue.
I personaly would never think of rolling it around on gravel or dirt just because the jack itself looks too spindely to handle the pressures of being pushed side to side.
I have on my utility trailer one of those swing down jacks and there again I would never trust the way it is made around where it does swivel to take the tourque of pushing it around.
Learn to back up "like the Big Boys"
I know some people just have a hard time...my dad use to get me to back up the utility trailer back when I was only 12 because I could do it better then he could.
Be aware of you troubles before you back in.... have a helper to yell about your blind spots... Go SLOW and take small incremental changes to correct the corrections.... TURN your wheel just the oposite you want the trailer go turn.
WATCH OUT for the front of your TV that it doesn't hit anything.
Trying to teach the wife is not recomended as a thing to do but she is getting better at it.
GOOD LUCK
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I must be extremely lucky to have a "helper" to yell about my Blind Spots...She also yells about my Bald Spots...and many other things that I Spot...and some that I don't... She even helps me to back up the trailer as well!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #10

Everything points to me just getting out there and doing it. I was really spoiled by the teardrop, which was so easy to push around on the ground (but was kind of tricky to back because it is so short). I appreciate the advice about getting another set of eyes back there, plus watching where the front of the TV is going while attention is focused on the trailer. We're off to Jekyll Island next week, so we'll see what happens! I plan to spend a little time in a parking lot first to get a little more used to it.

Parker

Old 11-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Believe me, Parker, if you can back a teardrop, you can back anything! (I know!!!!!)
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #12

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
Chris,

I appreciate your vote of confidence! I almost mastered backing a 4X8 teardrop, and everyone says it's hard backing a small trailer, so maybe the Scamp will be a little easier.

Thanks,
Parker
I find it easier backing a 48 foot semi trailer then my little utility trailer behind my jeep. Longer trailers give you loads more time to see what's going to happen.

Don't be afraid of your skills, they will definitely improve with time and practice. The first three or four times you try to get into your spot will be a little intimidating, but I can almost guarantee that by the fifth try you will nearly be an expert.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I tell people that the reason I arrive at rallys so early is so that no one can see my backing skills! But even so, with practice I'm pretty fair at it.

I think it's like steering an oil tanker or an aircraft carrier. There's some lag and once the trailer starts to turn I start easing up on the steering wheel. Even so, I suspect we all adjust the location once or twice and the one-time backup is a treat.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Quote:
Parker,

Chris- looks like you built a top notch teardrop. We recently sold our tear drop (built by Lil Bear Trailers in Reading, Ca) on www.Teardrop.net. The individual that built ours owns the site and we sold ours in 3 weeks. He charges $20 and will keep it on the "trailers for sale" section until it sells. Well worth $20 as it will get lots of hits. Good luck. Ron
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Parker, many RV sales lots have a vehicle (fork lift, pickup, etc.) with a hitch ball mounted on the FRONT bumper. Of course, you wouldn't want to try to move a trailer with a 600 lb tongue weight with a bolt-on bumper hitch, but it works fine with our lightweight fiberglass rigs. Instead of "backing", you're "forwarding", and can see everything that's happening. I don't use it because I've had forty years of practice. But I did use this trick when I was starting out. It's extra work to have to flip the tow vehicle once you arrive at your campsite, but it works -- and preserves peace in the household!

And for the rest of you purists who wouldn't be caught dead doing this, just remember -- the professionals who move dozens of trailers around a sales lot every day do it!
Jim Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...........I've mounted a 1 7/8in ball on the back of my ride me on. Works super for manuvering around in the yard, but MANDATES I use the Dakota as a tow when we go Glamping (hoist the tractor into the box ). Thats something I don't always want/need to do. Glad I have a Princess Auto special on hand for those long hauls. "Trillium Tuggers"/ "Boler Strowlers" are THE only way to go, IMHO!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Parker, many RV sales lots have a vehicle (fork lift, pickup, etc.) with a hitch ball mounted on the FRONT bumper.
Jim,

When I was a kid, my family used to go fishing with a guy who used the same trick. He was handicapped from polio, but could still drive and wasn't going to let that keep him from fishing!

I've been practicing with the trailer, and will go ahead and try it the regular way. I just can't quite see a hitch on the front of our Volvo.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Parker