Too cold to glue Reflectix? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Too cold to glue Reflectix?

Yesterday I started gluing in Reflectix using Weldwood Contact Cement. It was 85 degrees F. and today and for the next several days it is supposed to be below 60 F. during the day and colder at night. The can says not to use below 65 F. Do you think I need to wait for warmer weather?
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would I know someone mentioned having used the 3M spray and didnt stay within the temperature guidelines on the can and a few days later all the reflectix started coming of the trailers walls. Big job would hate to have to do it twice.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Carol on this one. I hate doing stuff twice and if waiting a couple of days helps... that's what I'd do. Norm you've put SO MUCH into your cracked egg (that puts it mildly), do you really, really want to rush it now? Your decision though....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used PL400 the temperature varied between -26 an 0 C outside, and stayed below freezing with a heater running in the trailer. I have used contact cement the last few days at 19 C, with evenings dipping to 4. Not sure what the temperatures work out to in F. Both worked great and are holding well.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cari and i used 3m77 on bare metal to glue on our bubble foil / reflectix (several layers were built up)... project was done in spring of 2011. Temps were typical for that time of the year here on the Oregon coast from what i recall (mid 60's). As of spring 2013 there is no sign of sagging or pulling away from walls/layers. Soft walls are wonderful!

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #6

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Thank you everyone for the advice. We are nearly done with installing the Reflectix. I used a 500 watt halogen work light to warm the walls before applying and afterwards. It also worked well for speeding up the resin set up time when I did the fiberglass work over the past year. Not sure how soon we'll be gluing on hull liner but it's bound to be warmer than it is now.
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote