Too Much Febreze - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
OK, I don't want the musty smell back but I power cleaned the inside of my 'new to me' 1990 Scamp and now it smells like a chemical factory. I have aired it out for the past month, yet it still smells like Febreze or worse...strong chemicals.

I've put strong fans running constantly in it with all the windows and vents open for days on end...still smells like Febreze.

I put a heater in it thinking I could raise the temp and burn out the toxic smell like they do with new buildings...still it smells like Febreze.

I brewed coffee in it and let it boil for 20 minutes... 10 minutes later, it smelled like Febreze again.

I HATE FEBREZE!

My next plan is to buy 10 boxes of baking soda to see if that will absorb the smell. I'm desperate. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

-Carl
Carl O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

Activated charcoal?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Fry up a pan of applewood smoked bacon. You'll lose the febreeze smell but you'll allways have that fresh breakfast smell instead
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
put some popareii (i don't know how to spell it) in water and let it simmer on the stove or put a few drops of vanilla extract on a hot skillet.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
put some popareii (i don't know how to spell it) in water and let it simmer on the stove or put a few drops of vanilla extract on a hot skillet.
Joe
Joe were you thinking about potpourri ??

Apple cider vinegar. Put some in a couple of bowls set around the trailer. It will change the PH of the air.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Joe were you thinking about potpourri ??

Apple cider vinegar. Put some in a couple of bowls set around the trailer. It will change the PH of the air.
That's it Donna..... I'm usually a pretty good speller but that one just threw me off. LOL
That apple cider vinegar is a good one too.
Lysol "Crisp Linen Scent" is also worth a try as it eliminates odors and doesn't just mask the odor....
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Surfside
I am on the charcoal band wagon myself. I also had an issue in a drawer in my house- rotten potatoes. I stuffed it with newspapers for about a week or so, changing them every couple of days and VOILA- no more rotten potato smell. So have you tried stuffing the trailer full of newspaper? Sounds like a fun weekend activity to keep the kids busy! Seriously, maybe stuff the areas that are really bad and closed in. I had the same issue with damp areas and did the same with the fans. Once it dried out and I was able to air it, it now smells OK. It took a few months though. Go for the charcoal.
Jason, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
do you or do you have a friend that smokes?

Close all the windows... Invite them over for a card tournament!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I guess my question would be, What is smelling? I think you need to get to the root of the problem first, and find the source of the smell. Cause I have never had Febreeze last that long, heck a few hours at most. Then it just smells fresh not chemically. I am very sensitive to smell of chemicals (can't eat that pre washed salad in a bag cause I can smell the preservatives). To me, if the charcoal, vinegar, or baking soda don't do the job within a day or two, something else is going on and should be investigated. Airing out for a week should have done it, over a month makes me think rut.....row! Good luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #10

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm kind of in the charcoal camp myself, but unfortunately I couldn't find any but I was able to find apple cider vinegar (ACV) and baking soda so I'm going to try those first.

This morning I closed up the camper after having placed 3 bowls of ACV inside. I have the fan blowing to move the air around. In the 3 minutes I was in the enclosed camper with the ACV it already started to smell better, let's hope that lasts.

Waiting in the bullpen are the boxes of baking soda.

I'll keep you posted on what works/doesn't work.

Robin, I understand you completely. Finding the source of the smell is important. To be honest I think it is a combo of the Febreze, Scrubbing Bubbles, scented 409, Simple Green, carpet cleaner and paint I used to get the inside to sparkle. It looks beautiful. Obviously, the smell isn't good.

I also think I went a little psycho with the Febreze. I too have a sensitive sense of smell, but unfortunately I also have the patience of a gnat on crack. All the cleaning I did got rid of 99% of the musty smell, but I was too impatient to wait for it to air out so I sprayed Febreze until I was suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome (or close to it). You know the old saying, "If a little is good, a lot must be better." Well, with Febreze it ain't so!!!!

Gina, they just celebrated Hemp Fest here in Seattle, maybe I should have hosted a card game for a couple of attendees. :-) That would have definitely changed the smell or my attitude towards the smell.

Well, let's see how the ACV goes.

Thanks everyone,

-Carl

Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
OK, I don't want the musty smell back but I power cleaned the inside of my 'new to me' 1990 Scamp and now it smells like a chemical factory. [b]I have aired it out for the past month, yet it still smells like Febreze or worse...strong chemicals.

I've put strong fans running constantly in it with all the windows and vents open for days on end...still smells like Febreze.

I put a heater in it thinking I could raise the temp and burn out the toxic smell like they do with new buildings...still it smells like Febreze.

I brewed coffee in it and let it boil for 20 minutes... 10 minutes later, it smelled like Febreze again.

I HATE FEBREZE!

My next plan is to buy 10 boxes of baking soda to see if that will absorb the smell. I'm desperate. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

-Carl
Put a 2 or 3 small dishes of vinegar on the floor. they will absorb all the odor in a day or two. the vinegar smell will dissapte over a day or two. no need to sprinkle, that will leave a vinegar smell for longer.
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
STOP!!! Please stop.

1-800-308-3279 Febreze Customer Service (Proctor & Gamble)

Talk to a human being; DO NOT SEND THEM AN E-MAIL!

This is a common problem when consumers are looking for instant results.
I assure you that you won't be the first caller to say " Hey, I may have done something dumb and I need your help,please". Give them a list of ALL of the things you tried and a list of ALL of the products you used. They won't call you a dummy but they will be VERY INTERESTED in your well being. "How are you feelin'? Eyes watering? Nose running? Etc.

After the formalities, they may even invite you over for a beer, and then you can ask how to
get rid of the smell. It's their product; they know the answers.

Please call them.
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Yes, I am a retired EMT. There are a number of us on this site that have had to deal with these issues. "Let me help you outside. Please take a couple of deep breaths"

Did I ever tell you about the time, early one a Spring, I opened up my boat and found a dead squirrel? This might take a while; would you like another beer?

Bill
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wow Carl, a guy that cleans that good, better watch out. Lot's of women are looking for a great cleaning hubby............................... Do you give lessons? My Hubby sure could use a few classes.
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
apple cider vinegar (ACV) and baking soda
oh please don't use those together.. or you will have a whole other smell to deal with.

*boom*
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
oh please don't use those together.. or you will have a whole other smell to deal with.

*boom*
Just think of what happened to Bill Nye...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28326
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My mother-in-law's part time neighbor called her to check their refrigerator as they forgot to empty it when they unplugged it when they left town the previous week. The smell was horrible, ground beef had been rotting for days in the summertime. I figured time for a new refrigerator as it must be in the insulation. She said "no problem" and placed an open dish of vanilla extract in it and closed it up. Amazingly a few days later, the odor was gone. Might be worth a try if you like vanilla.
Donna DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Wow Carl, a guy that cleans that good, better watch out. Lot's of women are looking for a great cleaning hubby............................... Do you give lessons? My Hubby sure could use a few classes.
ha ha ha ha ha ha I never thought of that. almost as in demand as a good cook. Lookout!
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Hi everyone! My name is Carl O and I'm a Febreze Addict.

Hi Carl O!

It all started when I bought this trailer........................................... ......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #20

The internet is a wonderful tool.

While looking for a way to get rid of the Febreze smell I read a message thread where the final line was, "How do you Febreze Febreze?"

Trust me, that is one product that will NEVER see the inside of my home or trailer again!

When this entire science experiment is done, I'll invite everyone over to smell my trailer. :-)