too much ventilation in fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Name: Cubey
Trailer: 1978 Dodge Xplorer
It didn't seem to help mine. It shot back up to 50 this morning. I managed to pull it out and will be putting in a dorm fridge for now. I might find it works nicely for me since I have 200W of solar and a generator. The generator is an Onan AJ and it seeps out of the sides.... (!!) but works after I did some speed adjusting. It also directly charges the batteries so if I run it a couple hours a day while I'm away (it's awful noisy), it'll recharge the batteries from inverter use for the fridge when off the grid. When on the grid, it'll be fine and dandy.

Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Cubey, check out NovaKool or any other "Danfoss" style refrigerant pump refrigerator. Ours was around $600.00, and our 100 watt solar panel more than supplies our electrical needs. I know that it's more than a dorm frig., but if you're saving for one anyway, by not purchasing a dorm frig. you are that much closer to your goal. You might try using a good cooler until you reach your goal.
Dave & Paula

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Name: Cubey
Trailer: 1978 Dodge Xplorer
Amazingly, the only thing holding it in was the sealant! I got the Dometic 211 out (anyone need parts? haha..) and got a 1.7 cu ft Haier fridge from Lowes for under $110 with a 2 year extended warranty. I drilled a couple of holes in the cross frame in the rear and screwed it down to the plywood decking. I'll use an eye hook and a bungie to keep it close (as I was gonna do with the Dometic...)

My 200w solar and 2 (mismatched) 12v deep cycle batteries should do the trick.. st least part time. The fridge's running amps is only supposed to be 1.4A (168W). I figure peak might come out about 4x as much which puts it at 5.2A (672W) startup. I'll go get one of the 400w/800w peak Harbor Freight inverters for $24 with the 20% off coupon and try it since it has good reviews.

This is the fridge I got:
Shop Haier 1.7 cu ft Compact Refrigerator (Black) at

Since I have rear access, I can swap it between the inverter and the old outlet from the original fridge. I may just run an extension cord to the back of the fridge from the inverter so I don't have to run large gauge wire to the inverter from the batteries. A cheap 25ft outdoor extension cord would work nicely.

I also have an Onan AJ 2.7kw generator built in which charges the batteries and also puts out 120V. I find that my solar setup and batteries aren't quite enough to get me by, I have other options at least. It's in very poor condition but still runs and works so I'll keep using it until it quits. Those used gensets can be picked up cheap (under $300) on CL and it wold be a direct swap for mine mounting and wiring wise.

I will probably end up on the grid more than off... it's hard to predict though. I plan to be off the grid as much as I can in parking lots as allowed between places. Even if I only do so a week out of every month it'll save me some money for sure. If money gets tight at the end of the month it'll save me for sure.

Yes I could have put the $150 toward a proper fridge but $450 is a long way more to go... I need to have refrigeration in the meantime. I got the 2 year extended warranty so if it lasts at least that long, it's worth the price.

Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote