Top bunk addition - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Burro 14 ft
I just purchased my first FGRV, a 14' Burro and I need to add a top bunk. I can only imagine that this has been attempted in the past. I'm just looking for some ideas/pointers.

Thanks

Nick Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Not many responses, eh? Although I've never built one, I can at least describe what I remember of the bunk in my friend Karen's trailer.

The classic Burro top bunk is hinged to a board along the lower edge of the window and is supported at the aft edge by three light steel tubing legs which fit into sockets attached to the bottom of the bunk and the top of the bench seat. The bunk is made of light plywood (maybe 1/2?) and is only suitable for children. The ends of the bunk are hinged so that when it's folded down flat against the wall, the ends can conform to the curvature of the wall.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Tent
Quote:
Not many responses, eh? Although I've never built one, I can at least describe what I remember of the bunk in my friend Karen's trailer.

The classic Burro top bunk is hinged to a board along the lower edge of the window and is supported at the aft edge by three light steel tubing legs which fit into sockets attached to the bottom of the bunk and the top of the bench seat. The bunk is made of light plywood (maybe 1/2?) and is only suitable for children. The ends of the bunk are hinged so that when it's folded down flat against the wall, the ends can conform to the curvature of the wall.
Take a look in the document center under burro. The 1981 manual shows a sketch of the bunk. If you need photos let me know, mine is currently apart but I can take pics of the pieces.

Mike
Old 06-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
im new here having just bought a 77 13ft scamp but i have the opposite need. i'm removing the top bunk in the front for space per some others suggestions. it attaches much like the previous posters description, hinged with poles and receivers. probably won't need it if you're interested. of course were 3000 miles apart
jeff
jeff y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the updating Donna.

Quote:
Take a look in the document center under burro. The 1981 manual shows a sketch of the bunk. If you need photos let me know, mine is currently apart but I can take pics of the pieces.

Mike
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #6

Jeff what are your plans for up front? Single bunk, bath, or dinette? I have seen all l three online. I find the couch in the burro to be somewhat practical, and could never see anyone over five in the bunks, but I am torn with what I will end up with.

Mike

Quote:
im new here having just bought a 77 13ft scamp but i have the opposite need. i'm removing the top bunk in the front for space per some others suggestions. it attaches much like the previous posters description, hinged with poles and receivers. probably won't need it if you're interested. of course were 3000 miles apart
jeff
Old 06-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

i don't know exactly. just got her home and cleaned out. son tried top bunk and thinks its cool. he's 5'6" and fits fine but any larger in height or weightis no go. i like the idea of a little more room and only one bunk as suggested here earlier, so the top most likely will go. i think an ac unit in the front might work better, not blowing birectly over me on the rear bed so thats strike two for bunk. i have alum jaloise windows with 19.5 inch removable center section tha will fit an a/c unit well. (which i just happen to have in the garage) would prefer a roof unit but vent is small and off center requiring fiberglass work and new hole. all in all probably removing the bunk if you're interested in it but not quite sure yet as i said she just came home today and i have to mull over what to do. if i decide to remove it i don't want to keep it, i'm a pack rat and the wife has me in mandatory disposal mode if i'm not using it so you could have it for the shipping(which could be steep). i'll let you know
oops you're not the topic starter. i'd give him first dibs then you if i remove it

jeff

Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I just purchased my first FGRV, a 14' Burro and I need to add a top bunk. I can only imagine that this has been attempted in the past. I'm just looking for some ideas/pointers.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
50_DSCF3578.JPG  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #9

thats interesting mine looks much different. the bottom is contigous in mine with a door compartment underneath that the portapotty was in and the shell appears different. has the same color upholstery though
jeff
Old 06-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
thats interesting mine looks much different. the bottom is contigous in mine with a door compartment underneath that the portapotty was in and the shell appears different. has the same color upholstery though
jeff
We haven't decided what ours will look like after renovating either. I am trying to picture what benefit there is by removing the top bunk. I am now thinking that in your brand camper that the top bunk may not fold down as to form a couch. In ours the two poles come out and the top bunk folds flush to the front wall and becomes the back of the couch. The bottom bunk remains and is the bottom of the couch. In my picture the bottom cushion is removed. The three pieces of wood are removable. Left and right allow storage inside, center allows the cushion to cross, over a portable potty.

I can see with a setup like ours how it can be converted to a front dinette. If yours is solid across are you without that option. I have been looking at scamp floor plans with the front bath online and trying to consider if I started to cut out the front lower bunk could I fit a full bath?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #11

the frt dinette makes sense with your split bases. mine is one solid piece so i don't have that option. i've decided against the bath addition. scamp told me the trailer is different size and walls they could supply would require cutting and fitting greatly. the top bunk operates same as yours poles come out and it folds down. i'm not sure of the advantage of removing top bunk either and plan to leave in place for now. gonna use it and just make some suspension mods for now. got new tires and ordered a replacement axle assy from scamp. original axle capacity per scamp is only 1200 lbs. new axle is 2200lbs capacity which will allow me to carry more inside. put the trailer 2 feet in the air on stands and it's not really hard to cut the axle loose from its welds with a cut off wheel. as soon as scamp gets the new on to me i'll weld it in. when done i'll post some pics.