Top window Removal/Rock Guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

Name: Deirdre
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Top window Removal/Rock Guard

Hello all - it's been awhile since I've been on - we have moved on to replacing broken glass panes in two of the windows. The top back window does not seem to come out once the screws are removed. The others come out fairly easily lifting up and out but the top doesn't seem to have the room to lift it out - any suggestions? We don't want to take the whole window unit out - if it can't come out, any thoughts on replacing it without using the rubber seal and just siliconing the heck out of it then pushing the new glass piece in to position?

Also, any suggestions for replacing the rock guard framing? The metal framing is broken on both sides right where the arms would slide - can you buy this framing anywhere?

Thanks for the help! Cheers!
littlemisspippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
I just had both my back side window panes out of my 76 Trillium for tinting. Yes, the top ones did not want to come out. I had to ease (bend) the aluminum drip edge of the upper frame up, at one end, in order to gain enough clearance. I did the back top corner of each window. I used vice grips and two little pieces of metal to minimize the damage to the aluminum. I only had to ease (bend) it up about 1/4 of an inch and then I was able to wriggle the window past the rock hard seals.
(NOTE - You must be careful not to bend too fat as you might break the aluminum drip edge. Once you get the window out, you can ease (bend) the aluminum back into place so that it is hardly noticeable. )

Once the upper frame for the top glass was out I could clearly see what the problem was. The upper frame piece for the top glass is a little too long on both ends. It does not need to extend 1/4 inch past the side glass aluminum channels. I just used a dremel to shorten them up a bit. It's easy to play with this once the glass is out and you reassemble the frame. GET NEW RUBBER from the glass company. They should have it. It makes putting the glass in the frame 1000 times easier. You could get the glass company to put the glass in the frame for you but then fitment of the frame to the window is harder when the glass in in. I hope this kind of makes sense. I do not claim to be an expert and I would not want you to damage your trailer. This is how I did it.

As far as the rock guard goes, if it's the piece I think it is I found that U-channel for the sides of the rock guard at Home Depot. It's not exact but it worked.
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote