Toppers vs Tonneau Covers - A Discussion - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #21

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The way I see it a thief don't need a knife to get into my truck bed. If the gate's locked they can just un-button it. Hard shells, caps, etc?? Regardless of the covering, nothing short of common sense vigilance will stop a determined thief. I bought my cheapo $300 Tonneau just for keeping things out of sight (hopefully therefore out of mind) and to keep stuff from blowing out when I'm doing 75 mph on the interstate.

Oh, and because someone told me it would increase my gas mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
icechest2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I had the f150 crew, with tonneau cover (snaps). Gave the truck to my step son, he won`t buy a replacement cover. I thought it was great, everything stayed dry and hidden from view. Had the bed liner and if you parked so your tail was lower, all water drained out so it wouldn't puddle in your truck bed. I may buy another truck,maybe about 10 or 15 years old at a good price and low miles, if i can find one, no hurry. Maybe i can give the Rav some rest days. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #23

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
I've owned five different trucks through the years and have gone back and forth between shells, tonneau's and naked (without either) and regardless of which method I chose there was and still will be some bit of buyers remorse, IOW's none of them are perfect for all of the obvious reasons already stated.

However for the last 12 years I have stuck with soft rollup tonneau's on two different trucks, Tundra before and now my F150. There have been times when I wish I had a cap not for security but just to keep things like our bikes out of the weather. FWIW we have been all over the country with both trucks and never had a case of break in with the soft rollup tonneau. Perhaps we are pressing out luck.

I am inclined to believe though the rollups provide the most versatility of them all and this is why we have kept with them. Some of the newer very well made toppers do indeed offer more security and definitely better weather protection. But they are expensive, roughly $2500 + compared to the $400 rollup. At the end of the day it really boils down to individual needs, budget, and what you're willing to compromise on. And make no mistake there will be compromises regardless of which decision you make.

Below is our F150 loaded with two road bikes in the truck bed, two kayaks (14ft) on our Thule rack, side rail mounted onto the tonneau rails with tonneau rolled up.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0557.jpg  
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymcs View Post
I have a Thule rack mounted to sides, thus leaving equipment stored in bed of truck vulnerable. Are there any covers that would work short of removing the Thule rack?
There are hard rolling tonneaus that work with Thule systems. Here is one for example.
Accessories

I've got something similar, I forget which brand I have, but with a little MacGuyvering I was able to install rails onto it as well. Mine being a little older - this type of rail system was not available yet.

One thing not mentioned in this discussion is the air dam effect. Marketing departments often flout the tonneau as being more fuel efficient as the air is not catching on the tailgate. That argument goes out the window when you are towing a trailer. So the toppers win in this area.

I've had both, I prefer the hard rolling tonneau. I've had it ~ 10 years. The springs are getting weak and some idiot bent mine trying to break in by jumping on the rear center trying to disengage the lock. I call them an idiot because the tailgate is almost always left unlocked. All they had to was try the handle.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #25

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
They're also likely to use a knife on my unlocked soft top tonneau regardless. That's the way I see it; all thieves really are lazy idiots.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I also chose a fiberglass topper and for the same reasons (storage and security)
A tonneau cover is a less expensive choice . My fiberglass Unicover Safari II was over $1500
which included sliding windows with screen all around and painted to match my truck.
Most locked toneau covers can be opened with a knife so the added security of a topper was worth the additional cost IMHO
I have an early version of the Fold-A-Cover on my Ranger and it is perfect for storing all our camping stuff, dry and secure....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I like my topper, but only because it has side doors in addition to the back door. My old 2003 F-150 has bedsides low enough to reach over and actually get stuff in the bed. New trucks with there chin-high bedsides might as well have a tonneau since most ordinary folks can't reach over the side anyway.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
New trucks with there chin-high bedsides might as well have a tonneau since most ordinary folks can't reach over the side anyway.
I just keep a couple cheap folding stools handy. One at each side, as even with a tonneau cover you need them to get over the sides.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I like my topper, but only because it has side doors in addition to the back door. My old 2003 F-150 has bedsides low enough to reach over and actually get stuff in the bed. New trucks with there chin-high bedsides might as well have a tonneau since most ordinary folks can't reach over the side anyway.
I agree, and I believe people are buying these ridiculous trucks just because that's all there is. When will they return to trucks which will fit into garages and parking spots and are possible to access the cab and the box without a ladder? Have you noticed the price of used Rangers?
what next?...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote