Torn Casita Awning Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
IOW, will we have to replace the entire thing, frame and all or is it possible to just replace the fabric part of the awning? This is the original awning that came with the 2000 Casita - Dometic brand? It is torn at the left corner - there was a little tear in one corner at the outside rail, when we bought the trailer used. The previous owner had patched it with some duct tape. We had the awning up one day last summer and a little desert whirlwind caught it before we could do anything. Now the tear is about 9-12 " long - duct tape isn't going to do the job. We are trying to get the trailer in shape for some camping and want to do what ever we need to to fix the awning (if a fix is possible.) Hate the thought of having to replace everything but perhaps that is the only way?
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
The fabric should slide off the awning rail that is on the trailer, and come off. It depends how it is made, which way it detaches from the other part of the frame. Maybe someone with a heavy duty sewing machine can patch it for you, inconspicuously, hopefully. A canvas remnant should be able to be found at a fabric shop.
Otherwise if you want to replace all the fabric there are a lot of places that can help you, i.e Camping World, or even your local RV parts store can tell you.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't know how the canvas is attached to the awning rail as I don't have an awning. But, is it torn within a few inches of the awning rail? I'm thinking you could take the awning rail off (however it's hooked) and cut the "canvas" part all the way to the other end (where it's torn). Then reattach the awning rail. Now all you have is a awning just a bit shorter than the original.

Is this doable?

And as Penny mentioned, just the canvas is replaceable. You can also check your Yellow Pages. We have at least two companies here in Portland that sell awning material.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Here is a link to a pdf file from Fiamma in Europe on replacing the fabric on their canopies. This is the frame that Horizon uses. This should help you whether you are going to just trim back or repair the existing fabric or install new fabric

pdf File of Changing Casita Awning Fabric

I saw some awning fabric for sale on e-bay earlier in the week, it was a couple of feet longer than the Casita, but could easily be trimmed to size, even looked like the same blue.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Donna,
The link that Charlie C provided, could eventually be very valuable to a lot of Casita owners. Can it be saved for future reference?
Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna,
The link that Charlie C provided, could eventually be very valuable to a lot of Casita owners. Can it be saved for future reference?
Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Kurt & Ann K.
Good idea Kurt, I've downloaded it and will upload to the Document Center later today

One thing about getting the fabric at someplace other than the usual awning manufacturers, you have a wider variety of colors and patterns to chose from
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2000
Thanks so much to all of you. I think this just may work! We have to go out and look more closely at the awning but I believe that you are right and this may not be such a difficut fix after all. Will let you know how it goes.
Terry F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 72 Boler
If it does indeed need to be replaced try a tent and awning place.
We have one here in Calgary called Alberta tent and awning and they
manfacture all the awnings you can imagine. A place like that might be a good source of information
Lew
Lew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I had an awning on a 1984 Scamp that was made by the folks at A&E, and I was able to just order the replacement fabric. Installation was fairly easy, as I think there was just 2 small screws holding the awning into the rail...the other end just fit into a slot on the "roller" part of the awning.

Even though it was fairly easy to do, having someone help with the installation sure helps a lot.

Jim
Jim Paskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Our awning has been ripped a few times...We take it off, sew a patch over the ripped area and put it back. Trying to just sew up the rip doesn't work. The awning will roll up unevenly and cause kinks and folds in the material. We simply lay a patch of new canvas over the torn area and sew it in four places. We sew it on the outside, at the edge of the new material, and on the inside, at the edge of the tear.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One more possibility... when I had a tent trailer a few years ago that had canvas that was in really poor shape, I hit upon an inexpensive repair method. I went to a local sail maker and picked up scrap sunbrella material. The areas that the canvas was rotted and torn weren't easily removed for sewing, and I doubted that the fabric would hold being stitched anyway because of its condition. So, being inventive, I used automotive gasket cement and placed a patch cut to size on each side of the tear, glued to the existing fabric with the gasket cement. I was amazed at how well they held. I never had to repair one of the fixed areas again for the two years I had the camper.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Arizona
Gorila duct tape is VERY sticky and might work well, if you don't mind it looking patched up a bit? You can get it at Walmart too.
Rattlesnake Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Florida
Smile Awing Company Link

Fiamma Inc. - Products

They make and ship out the Awnings.
They will hook you up with a local RV dealer and they can order and ship to you any parts.
I have bought the center suport for ours.
Thanks
Dbellsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita