Torque setting on Lug Nuts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellar View Post
Thanks. I guess that's the stud or bolt vs the nut.
I'm not clear what you're asking here. Both the stud and nut have to be the same size and thread pitch per inch. In Dexter axles of our size I think you'll find they both are 1/2-20 tpi.

Lug nut retention largely is a function of the tightening torque being converted to stretching the stud a miniscule amount and does not depend on the wheel size (as previously mentioned) but rather the thread diameter and pitch, for a given grade of metal (grade 5, grade 8, etc.) and for the same surface coating (the as-manufactured coating plus whether it's dry, oiled, etc.)

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
I think I got it now!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #17

Maryland
Well, got my torque wrench and went to check the lugs on the new Scamp. Of course they are way over-tightened. I didn't realize I couldn't use the long torque wrench for leverage to loosen the lug nuts. I tried with a socket wrench, but no way. Do you think I'll need to have a tire lug nut wrench, or once the nuts are tightened to the correct setting, would I be able to loosen with a regular socket wrench?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
You can use a socket wrench with the handle inserted into a length of pipe to increase leverage ( remember lever principle from high school? ). This assumes a decent quality socket wrench.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I carry a tire lug wrench and an 18" breaker bar that can slip over the lug wrench.

I also carry a torque wrench and tighten to 60 lbs, lighter than most I imagine. However I regular check them when traveling and they seem to stay.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #20

Maryland
I'm one who has always taken my vehicles in for service and not done much myself, so I'm na´ve! I looked up the breaker bar, which is basically a long socket wrench. If I have that to loosen the nuts and a socket wrench and socket, why would I need the tire lug wrench? Just to more easily tighten up to the point of needing the torque wrench or after loosening with the breaker bar?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #21

Florida
Mtke, The reason I carry a breaker bar is that I've seen tires put on so tight I can not remove them with a simple lug wrench. We' have been places where there's no one to call and you have to be able to change the tire yourself. As well I want Ginny to have the ability.

My breaker bar, for all intents and purposes a longer lug wrench, is a piece of pipe 1.5" pipe that slips over the lug wrench making it longer.

I don't use the breaker bar to tighten. I tighten with the lug wrench and final tighten with the torque wrench.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #22

Maryland
Thanks, Norm. I understand about the breaker bar. Just wondering if while having that and a regular socket wrench, if it was also necessary to have the lug wrench for tightening. Something else to carry!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #23

Maryland
Oh, sorry, I see your lug wrench is also your breaker bar with the pipe over it, so you're not carrying as much extra as I thought.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Simple solution to all this, if you have someone else install wheels on your trailer make sure you get them to torque them, not just hammer them on with an impact wrench. If a wheel is installed to the correct torque of 100 ft/lbs they can be loosened with a standard 1/2" drive torque wrench or wheel wrench which is usually about 14-16" in length.

NEVER use a breaker bar to tighten wheel nuts, the only thing I use a breaker bar or pipe extension to tighten is the tow ball on hitch bar where a 1" shank ball is tightened to 250 ft/lbs
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #25

Maryland
Well, in this case, Scamp put on the wheels! I didn't think I could use the torque wrench for loosening, which is why I started this thread!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #26

Florida
Quote:
Thanks, Norm. I understand about the breaker bar. Just wondering if while having that and a regular socket wrench, if it was also necessary to have the lug wrench for tightening. Something else to carry!
The lug wrench came with the trailer when I bought it. It fits both the trailer and the Honda.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Well, in this case, Scamp put on the wheels! I didn't think I could use the torque wrench for loosening, which is why I started this thread!
I am a mechanic and there is no problem using a torque wrench to loosen, in fact that is the tool we use to retorque any bolt, loosen the bolt then retighten with the torque wrench all one movement. I would NOT recommend using a pipe or snipe on a torque wrench though.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #28

Maryland
I feel silly with this thread - basic stuff for people who are used to working on vehicles. This is the torque wrench I got and the instructions say not to use as a breaker bar, only use in a clockwise direction to tighten. Maybe I didn't try it properly or maybe this is a cheaper one not meant for loosening. 1/2'' Drive Micro-Clicker Torque Wrench: Make Every Turn RightSears