Torque setting on Lug Nuts - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #29
Commercial Member
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Definitely not silly questions. Remember many took auto shop through school, I went through 2 years additional technical college plus 2 year apprenticeship.

Yes if you apply too much load to a torque wrench in either direction you can damage the calibration, but a click type torque wrench should measure torque in both a clockwise and counter clockwise direction. If you set the torque value and use it to loosen as long as you do not exceed the maximum designed torque for that wrench it should be fine. What you should not do is apply excessive load on the wrench in either direction.

Ian & Joan
1974 Boler "Buttercup" / 2014 Escape 19'
Camping Treasures - Key Chains & More
The Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #30
Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
I see this one that I almost bought (someone might have provided a link to it) appears to work in reverse, too. I went with the Sears because of the rubber handle, but then I had to buy and extender as well, and the case it comes in doesn't hold the extender nor is it a fully enclosed case like the Gorilla. It looks like I keep what I got so far and get a breaker bar, or return the sears items and get the Gorilla. The rubber handle was the biggest draw for the Sears - in the end, it cost more with the add-ons, even before the breaker bar.

mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #31
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Tighten 'em 'til they break then back-off an eighth of a turn!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote