torsion springs or leaf springs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Brake and suspension noise on eggs

Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
My previous trailer had leaf springs. Quite correct on the noise, especially at the start of the season. I found a little WD40 would quiet then down. Brake noise seems to also attract attention. Unfortunately, WD40 can't be used to cure that. Raz
I drove over 1800km with my Trillium this summer and never noticed any brake noise. I must say I installed a inertia type brake controller (Tekonsha Envoy, new old stock) which made the ride perfecly smooth under any road condition, including dirt roads. My previous brake controller on my previous RV was the basic all or nothing type, so electric brake coils used to overheat and burn randomly or produce unsufficient brake power at high speeds because I did adjust the brakes softer to prevent them to lock at low speeds.

I just want to say brake noise on an egg is not a fatality with a good brake controller. I'm not a mechanic, but I would guess some corroded parts are jammed or require to be adjusted/replaced.

Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I think torsion axles will allow for a lower to the ground camper vers the leaf spring.
I think the leaf spring will not go bad as the torsion axles do over time.
Has anyone ever seen a leaf spring setup go bad?
I've replaced all the leaf springs and shackles on my Fiber Stream when one of the then 30 year old long leaves broke.
Those parts were inexpensive since I didn't have to replace the axle tube itself.

My Compact Jr. has a 4" drop axle, and when installed "spring-under" the trailer is only 7" above the pavement.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Squeaky springs. In days of old some leaf springs had Zert fittings so the shackles could be greased. Those that didn't we would put kerosene in a sprayer and spray the whole spring to get rid of the squeaks.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Those that didn't we would put kerosene in a sprayer and spray the whole spring to get rid of the squeaks.
Ahhh... desqueakification*.

There is a perfect product for this - motorcycle chain lube, which have almost exactly the same lubrication requirements. Chain lube is a grease suspended in a volatile carrier and it even comes in an aerosol with a tube so that it can be applied along the join between each pair of leaves. The thin liquid is drawn into the gap between the leaves by capillary action (or just being sprayed in if rust has increased the gap): the volatile carrier then evaporates, leaving the grease behind in the right place.

It's just possible you may find that while the grease kills the squeaking that's driving you mad, it also removes the little bit of friction damping between the leaves so that the trailer is a bit more bouncy. But as long as it stops the awful squeaking, who cares?

* As a (former) professional engineer, obviously I have the training and experience to use these sort of advanced technical terms safely, appropriately and with respect to other peoples' cultures. I'm not one of those old dinosaurs who believe competent amateurs should not be allowed to use words like this, but please remember to use them with great care, only when wearing the correct safety gear and, above all, never in the presence of children. "Let's Be Careful Out There", as you may have heard someone say before.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Thanks to all! I am grateful for the great information.

Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote