Total newbie to RV's and Scamp!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #1

Name: Cori
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Total newbie to RV's and Scamp!!!

Hi! I just bought a 13' 1985 Scamp. I have wanted a camping trailer forever and am so thrilled to have found this one.
I am poking around, updating some things and trying to figure it all out. I'm totally new to all this. I have questions!

1. Today I discovered that my sink drains right to the exterior drain hole, I don't seem to have a gray water tank?!?! Am I missing something?

2. The cute rear decal with the trees is almost entirely worn off, but I don't see those on Scamp's website. Is there anywhere to get the old style decals?

3. The skylight cap is cracked, been patched and doesn't appear to be leaking, but is there somewhere I can buy a replacement?

4. Drawer under the stove won't open, but looks like it really is a drawer. Is it supposed to open?

Thanks in advance for help! I'm really excited about fixing this egg up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	105135
OregonCori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCori View Post
1. Today I discovered that my sink drains right to the exterior drain hole, I don't seem to have a gray water tank?!?! Am I missing something?
2. The cute rear decal with the trees is almost entirely worn off, but I don't see those on Scamp's website. Is there anywhere to get the old style decals?
3. The skylight cap is cracked, been patched and doesn't appear to be leaking, but is there somewhere I can buy a replacement?
4. Drawer under the stove won't open, but looks like it really is a drawer. Is it supposed to open?
Hi Cori, not all early TTs had grey water tanks, they drained out to the ground. Folks that have this design use a separate mobile holding tank as you really can't let it drain on the ground like that in most places.
You can have decals made and there are a couple members here that do that.
Not sure if you're calling the roof vent as a skylight. If it opens that's a vent and the cover can be purchased and replaced.
Have no clue to the drawer for you .
Being you're new to RVs the only thing I would tell you is to make sure the tires, wheel bearings and wiring for road and interior lights are good to go and use it for a season. See what you like about it and what you'd like to change to fit your camping style before doing any big changes. You may find after a season that it's perfect and ready for some personal mods or find that the basic size or layout doesn't really work for you. I still tell anyone from the large RVs that want to see my SD17 that I've got every thing they have except room....I have to go outside to change my mind .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
There may be something in the drawer that has jamed. I know when I replaced my Boler Fridge with one that was a tad bigger the draw became tight and once a spatula got jamed up to bottom of stove top.
I took stove up enough to free it...Didn't even mess with gas line but I did check with soapy water after it was all together again.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No grey tank. It's still optional on new Scamps. Mine is the same. It was meant to drain into a bucket with a short length of hose- that's what my family's tent trailer had in the 70's. Nowadays, some campgrounds require a closed container rather than an open bucket to avoid smells and critters. It's a good idea even if not required.

It does sound like the drawer may be jammed. You could try slipping something thin and flexible in and feeling around to figure out what's holding it up.

Call Scamp and ask about the old-style decals. They used to have them on the website, and they may still stock them. Not everything you can get from them is listed, so it's always good to ask. Phone is better than e-mail or online ordering.

They also sell the roof vent cover. You'll need to measure the size- there are several.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCori View Post
Hi! I just bought a 13' 1985 Scamp. I have wanted a camping trailer forever and am so thrilled to have found this one.
I am poking around, updating some things and trying to figure it all out. I'm totally new to all this. I have questions!

Thanks in advance for help! I'm really excited about fixing this egg up.

Attachment 105135
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Corey, I have a Scamp 13' and have some of the problems you mention.
My red decals were peeling, I ordered them directly from Scamp at a reasonable price. But remember that you own a utilitarian trailer, not a historic antique. You can remove the decals, leave them off , or paint new kinds of stripes. The trees are cute, paint them on !
My drawer wont open in winter. It has no real slides but two aluminum channel that grip a pressed board suspended from the stove. Access is extremely difficult but parking in the sun in Spring with windows open and magic fan on dries out the particleboard and the drawer opens. Then reach in and sand the edges of the pressed board and possibly lubricate the 'channels'. Keep in mind that in summer when the board shrinks ,the drawer may fly out onto the floor on a sharp turn. You may need to use light cord or bungee cord material to keep drawer and cabinets closed on rough roads. DON'T pull on the front of the drawer when stuck; it is poorly made of pressed board and the front will break off.
Sink drain: rather than an open pail you should use a closed container. I use a large detergent or "Downey" blue container; it looks like a purpose built drain container. Most campgrounds have drains to dump sink water, in summer or desert conditions I water the bushes. ( Don't attack me folks, we've had a drought for 5 years !) You could also get a much longer hose and have it exit through the floor and drain way at the back.( capped) That would give you some extra holding capacity for almost nothing.
Some vent caps can be replaced, complete vent replacements are cheap on line. If it is the Scamp vent / escape hatch, Scamp would have them. Don't seal it with silicon ! Sometime when I have time I'll put photos up of cheap little improvements I've done. Maybe others will do the same. Happy Trails ! ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #6

Name: Cori
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Thank you!

Thank you all SO much for your help!

DavidG, your advice to remember that I have a utilitarian trailer and not a historic antique was really helpful!!! Makes me feel better about going wild with decor. Eventually...
I got the drawer out, so I can work on it. Your explanation of how it worked helped a lot.
I've updated my propane tank, battery, and got us a camp toilet. So we're getting ready for our first camping trip in it this weekend!

I would love to see any pictures of improvements and tips on organization!
Thanks all!
OregonCori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Have a great time in your Scamp 13 we really love ours. Check your tires and have your axle bearings serviced when you can and have a great time. Do you have stabilizer jacks in the back bumper? If not get some. Scamps website has some videos about their trailers. Some of it only applies to the newer models but worth the time to view them if your unfamiliar to these trailers.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We have a 1982 Scamp 13 and LOVE it! We replaced all of the Scamp decals and just this past week I stained the floor a darker color and disconnected the water tank because we haven't used it in two years.

Here are some of our storage solutions:

Name:	December Phone Pics 083.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	105315

Name:	December Phone Pics 084.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	105316