Tow Hitch & Relay, Harness Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Greetings All!

Well, we finally have our tow vehicle... a 2007 Nissan NISMO Frontier Crew Cab 4 x 4 with stability and traction assistance, locking rear differential and shift on the fly 2WD to 4WD. Drives like a dream. Because of the 4 x 4 suspension, maximum tow capacity is 6,100 lbs. However, our truck did not come with a factory installed tow hitch receiver, so we would need to order one. BUT--until we have seen an Escape 5.0, a 20' Bigfoot fifth and hopefully a 19' Bigfoot TT in person-- we are not sure whether we will be needing a sliding fifth wheel hitch or a tow hitch receiver.

My question is: Should I order the "hitch harness kit" and trailer brake and lights relays now or wait until we know what kind of hitch we will need? Are they different depending on which hitch one has and do they attach in a different location depending on the type of hitch?

Thanks for your input!

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Greetings All!

My question is: Should I order the "hitch harness kit" and trailer brake and lights relays now or wait until we know what kind of hitch we will need? Are they different depending on which hitch one has and do they attach in a different location depending on the type of hitch?

Thanks for your input!

Val
You can't really go wrong installing a 7-Pin Bargman recepticle and wiring it to your truck. The connections and equipment you will need are the same, including the brake controller, so personally I'd do it now, leaving enough slack in the wiring to allow where the recepticle will mount on the bumper.

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Hi Val,
Sorry I can't really offer any more to answer your question than Bob did, but I am interested in how your rig ends up. Keep us posted! I also have a Frontier (2005 Crew Cab 4x4 LE) that I will be towing with... someday. Does your truck have the standard short box? How will that work with towing a fifth?
Hope you get a unit soon!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
Hi Val,
Sorry I can't really offer any more to answer your question than Bob did, but I am interested in how your rig ends up. Keep us posted! I also have a Frontier (2005 Crew Cab 4x4 LE) that I will be towing with... someday. Does your truck have the standard short box? How will that work with towing a fifth?
Hope you get a unit soon!
Hi, thanks for the responses. I will order the 7 pin and harness kit now. Where do they hook up, I wonder? I know there's a plug under the dash in the cab (driver's side) and it looks like there are two--one larger and one smaller plug-- under the rear bumper. Will look though the owners' manual to see if it tells me what they are for.

Yes, Lainey, it is a short bed and the only fifth wheels we can tow would be the Escape 5.0, the Scamp fifth or possibly an older Bigfoot fifth. I spoke with Reace (the owner and President of Escape Trailers--a great guy) about this prior to purchasing the truck and he explained that there are several companies that have created "slider fifth wheel hitches" especially for short beds. These hitches literally slide back when you turn, in order to avoid having the trailer dent the cab. Several of his Escape 5.0 owners are apparently towing with these slider hitches, so I looked them up on the internet and that's what we will use if we end up going that route.

We can hardly wait to find our home on wheels!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Val,
I believe your Frontier will be the same as my Pathfinder. The Pathfinder did come with the receiver installed but I installed everything else.

The 7-pin trailer harness is a Nissan part, Courtesy parts had the cheapest price as of last December, about $60. Totally plug-in, the connector is under the frame, near the left rear wheel. The controller is plug-in also. I think the Frontier includes a harness for the controller, but it does not have a connector on the controller end (because controllers are different). When you purchase the controller, they also sell a harness with the correct Nissan plug on one end and the correct controller plug on the other end. The extra $10 makes for a 10-second install, not a bad deal, from RVwholesalers.

You might also need the relay, check Courtesy's website. The relay supplies +12V to the charge line.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote