Tow hitch for Bike Carrier? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Katey, too many https in your link. This is it: Amazon.com: Force Rax 2 Bike Spare Tire Car Rack: Sports & Outdoors
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Noah
Trailer: Accessories Manufacturer
Texas
Another Option

We make a bolt on version with grade 8 bolts if you don't want to weld....

Amazon.com: Casita Hitch Receiver: Sports & Outdoors

We can make them for a scamp.
GreenHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
There is no way that a receiver should be just welded or bolted to the rear bumper.

I have a 2001 13 Scamp with a factory mounted rear receiver. Scamp adds an additional cross member to the frame. They weld the receiver to the new cross member and to the bumper. The receiver sits below the bumper.

Unlike Floyds comment about "not the best idea on a 13 footer", I've had no problems for nearly 12 years of carrying my mountain bike and a folding chair on the rear of my 13 footer. I have had only had one or two occasions where the receiver did drag going in and out of a driveway. I could tell that the driveway was a little deep so I just took a little slower.

I rarely if ever pull my Scamp without the bike on the back. In fact, I think my only time was when I went to Alaska as I knew I wouldn't be using my bike. Having it on the back would add length and the ferry systems charge by total length so I saved quite a bit of money leaving the rack and bike home.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's a couple of pictures of my bike:
Attached Thumbnails
2007-7-28 Mora SP site 6 WA #1.JPG   2010-7-20 Richardson Grove SP Site 23 Hiway 101 CA #2.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Noah
Trailer: Accessories Manufacturer
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A
There is no way that a receiver should be just welded or bolted to the rear bumper.

I have a 2001 13 Scamp with a factory mounted rear receiver. Scamp adds an additional cross member to the frame. They weld the receiver to the new cross member and to the bumper. The receiver sits below the bumper.

Unlike Floyds comment about "not the best idea on a 13 footer", I've had no problems for nearly 12 years of carrying my mountain bike and a folding chair on the rear of my 13 footer. I have had only had one or two occasions where the receiver did drag going in and out of a driveway. I could tell that the driveway was a little deep so I just took a little slower.

I rarely if ever pull my Scamp without the bike on the back. In fact, I think my only time was when I went to Alaska as I knew I wouldn't be using my bike. Having it on the back would add length and the ferry systems charge by total length so I saved quite a bit of money leaving the rack and bike home.
I apologize for not detailing how our hitch attaches to the camper. Two cross members bolt to the frame rails forward of the bumper, not the bumper itself.
GreenHorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp