tow vehicles? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2002, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
tow vehicles?

Hi! I'm new so hope I do this right. Am looking to purchase Casita or other 16 foot fibreglass trailer however will need a tow vehicle.
any thoughts out there on Toyota Tacoma V8 & Jeep Grand Cherokee Utility??

Thanks!Pat

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:44 AM   #2

Hi Pat!

I don't really have any advice on the tow vehicles, I think either would do the job nicely, I just wanted to welcome another Michigander!

:wave

Old 12-04-2002, 11:17 AM   #3

Michiganders

Hi all you Michignderers,:wave
Pat have you check around the block? Jim might be your neighbor. How wonderful that would be. :jump-r some one to talk trailer with when your not on line. my friends are started to get that look, :r here she goes again.:o

That v8 sounds good for towing. give the group a day or two and I'm sure you will have more advice then you wanted. later

Old 12-04-2002, 12:22 PM   #4

tow vehicle

You're on the right track, Pat.

The more difference between the 'rated tow capacity' of the tow vehicle and 'actual towing weight' of the trailer, the better.:)

Then rainslick roads, nighttime curves, lane changing, falling rocks etc. etc. will be less likely to put ya in a ditch.........(it's not about the horsepower).:E :E

:wave

Old 12-04-2002, 05:31 PM   #5

towing

somthing else you might try Pat, the search button, upper right on any of the pages and search for Jeep or Toyota and see what comes up.

Old 12-05-2002, 12:21 AM   #6

Pat

Welcome!

I may be biased...but general rule of thumb? longer wheel base and bigger engine. :)

Old 12-05-2002, 09:08 AM   #7

Tow vehicle

Pat Is the Tacoma V8 a new model this year. When we purchased our Tundra in Jan. the largest engine in the Tacoma was a V6.

We purchased a V8 Tundra and love it. Have towed many happy miles with it.

Old 12-05-2002, 09:38 AM   #8

Webmaster Michael

Webmaster Michael used to tow his 17 fiberglass trailer with a Jeep Cherokee ... he now tows with a Tahoe, because the Jeep overheated. (17 is way heavier than a 16 footer!).

Fiberglassrv'er Augie Burgoon tows his 16 footer with a Jeep Wrangler ... in the mountains of Colorado .. but recently had to replace an engine (only because of high mileage, I think).

Hoping they'll add their comments.

Old 12-05-2002, 10:19 AM   #9

:o OK, OK...

Yep, I towed my 17’ Casita with the top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4 door, white, V-8, Orvis. Orvis is the leather seats and ALL the bells and whisles.

I love that Jeep. I still have that Jeep, although it is in the local easy-ad for sale. I had so much trouble with it, you wouldn’t believe. The dealer I bought it from took it back into the shop three times and replaced everything he could think of to get the thing to stop over heating.

It would over heat when it saw me hooking up the Casita, otherwise it ran & runs perfect. I know, I know, how can a stupid Jeep know when it is going to have to work? Hey don’t ask me, it just did. The Jeep dealer ran every test they could. No luck. They put dye in the radiator to check for any cracks in anything, replaced the radiator with a three core (two core is stock). New water pump, twice. New thermostat. New hoses. new heads, new intake manifold gasgets, Checked electronics, lean/richness, and on and on. Remember Caddy Shack, that is the way the dealer got around the Jeep from H---.

Bottom line, the Jeep could not carry the 3, 200 pounds of Casita when the temp outside was over 100* or it was an up hill pull. (The Jeep is rated to pull 6,500 lbs.)

So now I own a Chevy Tahoe. Here in the (true) South West, we have long drives, big mountains, and HOT temperatures.

I don’t know if this is relevent or not, it just is my story. OK, too long a thread :zz :zz

Old 04-20-2003, 08:58 PM   #10

Michael:
What kind of milage are you getting from the Tahoe? pulling and non pulling. I was planning on getting a freedom 17 to pull behing a Grand Cherokee but I am starting to second guess my self at this point. I do live in Hot ol Texas so your overheating might pop up on me if I stick with the Cherokee plan.