Towing angle - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
My hitch on my truck is 16" off the ground. My trailer when level, the hitch is 11" of the ground. Is it OK to tow a trailer at a angle or should I get it as close to level as I can?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch1.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	10889

Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Yes, you should make sure your trailer is level when towing.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #3

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Pros or cons for level or not level?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Are you towing from the bumper? If so, I'd suggest a proper hitch and purchase a ball mount with the necessary drop: Ball Mounts & Specialty Ball Mounts

Towing level is easier on the axle too. I'm surprised you haven't bottomed out the trailer rear bumper going in and out of driveways....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Specialty Ball Mounts[/url]

Towing level is easier on the axle too. I'm surprised you haven't bottomed out the trailer rear bumper going in and out of driveways....
Hmmmm--- betcha your trlr rear is even lower than that when hitched up. I, too, am surprised that you're a 'dragging wagon" entering and leaving driveways. On a side note, what shape is your trlr axle in? It sounds like your trlr is a skosh low. Larry
Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
As Donna pointed out it's hard the trailer axel.
Balance can become a problem.
Going over something like a speed bump, two possible problems. One, bottom out the couple, there's only so much up misalignment room and you've used up most of it. Two, bottom out the rear of the trailer. Kind of hard on the bumper and if you've got stabilizers, you'll damage them.
Nose up will also improved wind resistance, which helps increase gas consumption. (maybe I say this the other way around increase wind resistance which in turn will reduce gas mileage.

Last, and very important, with the trailer very far away from level you'll look really goofy going down the road.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #7

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I have a S10 pickup with the stock step bumper hitch. The back bumper (13' Scamp mid 80's)when hooked up to the truck is 8" off the ground. So i should pickup a
Click image for larger version

Name:	4612044.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	10890
with a 5" drop.
Attached Thumbnails
45123.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Hi Kevin, your on the right track with the mount that bolts to the underside of the bumper and a standard ball mount to fit into it.

This receiver mount should work OK if your bumper is rated for 5000 lbs. If the bumper is rated for less than that (and the route I would prefer for myself) would be going to a frame mounted hitch such as this Hidden Hitch Unit

I don't think you will need a 5" drop on the ball mount though. You will be dropping 2 to 4" just with the under bumper receiver. You will likely only need about a 2" drop on the ball mount when all is said and done.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #9

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Kevin;

Many many reasons for level towing.

First, if I assume your axle is in the middle of your trailer, level at 11"; then hooking up at 16" means your trailer rear is only 6" off the pavement. You will drag, or possibly break something.

As well, towing with the front of the trailer up is taking virtually all the tongue weight off the hitch. The trailer can be very difficult to control, and can eaily "jump" off the ball at a significant bump.

As mentioned by others, this is also stressing your trailer axle.

I go the extra mile to tow as level as possible,. If I must make a decision between slightly up at the ball or down, I prefer the trailer slightly tilted down to the ball. More tongue weight = better control.

Also note, that if your tow vehicle changes its level when the trailer is attached, (i.e. the rear slumps down, the front of thw TV raises) you may need either better rear springs or a weight-distributing hitch. When the Tow Vehicle front comes up, you may have less steering control...not a good idea.

Vic
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The drop hitches aren't that expensive and readily availabe at many places (including Walmart). When I first got my trailer (before it was raised), it was a real low rider and the rear-end of my Envoy was way up there. I got a 5" drop and it was almost not enough, but it allowed for safe towing. You can get two smaller people, or one sizeable one to sit on your bumper. Then see what your hitch height would be. It'll probably drop an inch or two, depending on your suspension.

There are many good reasons that have already been mentioned, however I would like to expand a little on the safety issue. Fishtailing is a common problem in tongue high trailers. Lest you think that having a big truck and a small trailer is a cure, I would like to pass on something I recently saw.

My husband and I were on a trip without the trailer. As we were cruising down the highway, we saw a Ram 2500 truck pulling a very small, empty single axle utility trailer. I admit he was going way too fast for towing (70 mph or so) and, probably not paying attention to the trailer behind him, but the little trailer was also very, very tongue high. By the time we met (thank goodness it was a four-lane highway) that little trailer was yanking that big ol' truck all over the road and landed it in a bar ditch. Before he got to us, the trailer was really fishtailing then bounching. I sure he thought that his truck could handle it, but it obviously couldn't. We ended up having to head back down that same highway two hours later, and they were still there. The people were physically okay and both trailer and truck were upright, but were no longer connected.

My husband is still talking today about how that little tiny trailer was literally yanking that big truck oll over the road. Since I am the camper, he doesn't tow. I think he always thought that I was a little too concerned about trailering practices and that as long as something could pull it, it was okay. Not anymore.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
[quote]My hitch on my truck is 16" off the ground. My trailer when level, the hitch is 11" of the ground. Is it OK to tow a trailer at a angle or should I get it as close to level as I can?

Attachment 10889

Kevin,

It appears that you have more pressing issues than hitch height. Scamp says that the factory hitch height on the current production 13' is 18". I just towed a '96 13' Scamp with a 1 7/8ths hitch ball 1,000 miles to Virgina. It's measured hitch height was 17". Because the E450 chassis motorhome I towed it with has a non-standard, taller than normal height hitch receiver, I had to have a special 7" drop draw bar fabricated for it to tow level. It worked great.

You don't mention in your profile what year model your 13' is, but I'd check with the factory by serial number and see what your stock hitch height should be. At 11", the only way that your hitch height could drop a full 6" would be that your axle is worn out and needs replacing. If that's the case, it's about a $500 item installed. An axle without suspension can tow poorly, crack frames, and crack fiberglass. It's a critical issue IMHO.

At proper hitch height for the Scamp, a straight draw bar (2" drop, or straight turned over) should be all you need.

Roger
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #12

Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I think I need a new axle. Looking at other 13' Scamp photos they ride much higher then mine. My 13' Scamp is a mid 80's. I have a 4 lug axle now with New 13" wheels (zero miles) Owners manual says the spindle arm is attached to the torsion arm at about a 22 degree angle down. The 13 foot trailer uses a 2200 pound axle with an idler hub. Anyone have information on where I can buy a new one that will fit like the factory original?
Or information on the factory original measurements. Can anyone explain how to replace the axle?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #13

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Kevin,

Axle replacement isn't rocket science. Any competent welder can do the replacement for you. It's not a difficult job, and can be done in a couple of hours.

Scamp has replacement axles available from their regular price sheet at $300 for your application.

You can also purchase a replacement from Dexter or Al-Ko, and both tell you exactly how to measure your axle and brackets before you place the order.

I had a local welding shop replace the axle under a Burro 17 a few years ago, and it was relatively painless.

Roger

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Kevin, we have in our profiles a place for "Location," I see you have yours set to USA. If you'd like to change that to something a bit less generic, it's possible someone on the forum can tell you exactly where to take it in your town for work.... once we know what town that is!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote