Towing in bad weather? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
No staying in RV parks- trailer is wet inside!

So...if I may ask....why are you taking it with you????

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Have you thought about using ratchet straps, motorcycle tie down thingies to go from under the trailer and over the top? If your axle is not in the way, it would be an effective way to keep the top from budging and snugged down. It's not pretty, but it would work and is relatively inexpensive.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

So...if I may ask....why are you taking it with you????

Francesca
Because its getting wet here due to high winds and driving rain and i have nowhere to store it here that is sheltered- plus, now that it is damp inside I don't want to just leave it where it won't dry out. (Here in the Northwet.) Also, I'd like to use it in the spring, and do some work on it while I have the garage.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Have you thought about using ratchet straps, motorcycle tie down thingies to go from under the trailer and over the top? If your axle is not in the way, it would be an effective way to keep the top from budging and snugged down. It's not pretty, but it would work and is relatively inexpensive.
It isn't bulging- it just has gaps where the tubing didn't go all the way. And its already wet inside or I could just tape over those. The problem is that the leaking didn't show up until the high winds and rain in the last few weeks- I had been checking it and yesterday was the first time there was any moisture. While I have it in California I'll put new seals on. (And redo the poptop fabric.) So after this year it should not be a problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have two rules when towing. We don't drive at night and we don't drive in heavy weather. If it snows, a heavy rain, a dust storm or even high winds, we stop until the weather stops and the heavy weather clears.

Life is plenty short without adding unnecessary risk.
That's the plan but weather can change suddenly when there is no place to stop. So I'm just asking to be prepared. I plan to travel on dry roads, sun overhead!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
That's the plan but weather can change suddenly when there is no place to stop.
It absolutely can change quickly this time of year. A bit more than a week ago, 33 MILES of I-5 was shut down north of Grants Pass. And the entire Rogue Valley was under a winter storm warning (snow). On the news, they showed a picture of a guy on top of Siskiyou Summit putting on car chains... and he was wearing shorts! Don't think he planned on it snowing....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Pulling in inclement weather is no problem, as long as necessary precautions are taken. I pull around trailers throughout the winter here, through the snow, ice and wind.

The main trailer I pull is construction trailer which is about 4,500 lb dry, and up to 14,000 lb loaded. It does have good brakes though, and I pull it with a Ford F250 Super Duty.

I have pulled my Escape with my Pilot on ice and snow before a few times too. No troubles, though I do tend to stick to the speed limit.

With these light fiberglass trailer, wind is the biggest issue, especially if slippery. I am extra cautious should there be strong winds.

How much does the trailer weigh? I would be hesitant to tow any trailer on icy roads without brakes, even if it is light. The last thing you need is a trailer pushing you when braking on icy roads.

Another factor is the weight of the tow vehicle. Obviously the heavier, the better, as it will handle the added weight of the trailer better. I would feel better using a pickup in poor conditions, rather than a Subaru.

The big thing, drive with caution, and should there be any terrible conditions, be prepared to stop.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;352505]
Another factor is the weight of the tow vehicle. Obviously the heavier, the better, as it will handle the added weight of the trailer better. I would feel better using a pickup in poor conditions, rather than a Subaru.

Better yet, put the Subaru in the pickup bed for extra traction.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #23

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
The tow capacirty on our Forester is maximum 1000lbs without trailer brakes. You didn't mention which Subaru you are towing with, but you may be WAY over your vehicle's braking capacity. Now add the potential for bad road conditionns. Is this adventure really a good idea?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #24

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
If snow is a possibility, four good snow or ice treads would be my recommendation. I always try to tell people that "all season" tires are a misnomer anywhere besides Florida and San Diego. All wheel drive allows an automobile to propel itself, but not turn or stop any better than any other like vehicle without AWD. If it is so bad that you can't move without AWD, then maybe you shouldn't.
And of course nothing beats using good common sense along with extreme caution when bad driving conditions prevail.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #25

Registry
Tell ya what, Bobbie-
If all you need is a place to store the trailer out of the weather, drop it off at my place in Hadlock on your way down from wherever it is (in Canada?) that you're coming from. It can spend the winter with my Trillium, and between 'em, maybe come spring they'll have figured out how to stop whatever leaks there are in your trailer!

Francesca
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #26

Washington
Registry
Thanks, Francesca, but as I said, it is already wet, and it won't dry out here so I'm afraid I'd have a much bigger problem in the spring. It's coming. But I will pick up chains for it and also make sure the load is distributed well. And I do plan to drive on dry pavement. I have almost a two week window if needed. I don't drive in bad weather if I can avoid it, trailer or not- I just needed to know what to watch out for. Right now the prediction has a long stretch of no precip starting New Year's Eve. If that doesn't hold up I'll reconsider.

There would not be any leaks if I had it parked out of the wind but the only out of the wind on my property here is not above the seasonal high tides. Unless the window is leaking- I'm just assuming it is the top but haven't really checked.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:

There would not be any leaks if I had it parked out of the wind but the only out of the wind on my property here is not above the seasonal high tides.

You're killing me here, Bobbie!

What the heck are you, a mermaid????

This has got to be one of the most mysterious threads ever...you're taking a trailer you can't actually use on a hundreds-of-miles trip in the dead of winter, across International Borders into the wasteland of the Siskiyou mountains and beyond....

WHY???????

Unless we must wait for the debut of the novel...

Francesca
Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Good luck with your tow. I would get a shop vac and pull the fiter and suck that sucker dry ASAP. waiting for the moisture to dry on its own will make repair a costly mistake. Carrying chains, loading the trailer toungue heavy are good ideas. I would also carry 2 sacks of play sand on the floor of your Subaru in the back seat area. The balast wont hurt in the snow and will be a traction aid should you need it.
Drive smart and you will be OK.