Towing in Overdrive? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Todd

If your trailer is higher in the front than in the rear, and you have a hitch that inserts into a receiver, you might want to consider getting a dropped hitch. Then you could just remove the ball from the one you have and have them put it on the new one for you. It'll not only make it easier towing, it will reduce some of the bumper drag on those dips and curves.

Oops ... you said bumper hitch. That means the ball is in your bumper, right? Never mind.;)

Old 05-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #16

overdrive

never..............

Old 05-04-2003, 11:55 PM   #17

Got back from my first trip with the trailer this weekend, put on at least 4oo miles, maybe more (the odometer broke a couple weeks ago, and haven't fixed it yet). I used OD twice. Only on flat freeways, otherwise 3rd was fine. The rpms on the engine were a little high, but okay, kept the rig at 50-55. Went 60 a couple times. I didn't let the car downshift at all in OD, was very careful, but it still made me nervous. I'm enjoying the discussion...
Blossom
87' Volvo SW and 72' Compact Jr.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #18

I made up my mind

Well, after reading all the replies, I have decided not to tow in overdrive. Why take the risk, right? And besides, gas prices have dropped enough around here that I can spare losing a mpg or two..

Thanks guys

Todd
Old 05-05-2003, 06:26 PM   #19

Hi Todd
You won't lose much.Just go a bit slower.More safety also better milage.
:wave
Old 05-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #20

overdrive

:r well I guess I'd better recant all my statements about overdrive before someone blows their tranny and comes back to me mad. You folks have changed my opinion on this subject :o and I'm in complete agreement with those who said to check the owners manual, butttttttt I've had 2 toyota trucks and other than discussing weight they never said anything about not towing in overdrive. The first one I had I sold with 168000 miles on it and towed maybe 1/3 that with different trailers and put the tranny in the same place ("D") I do when I'm not towing. never a problem. I'm towing with a Tundra now and I put it in "D", it knows when it has to shift down with none of the hunting you folks are mentioning and it shifts back into overdrive when it figures the going is ez. Some trannys have a separate position on them that says OD and those must be the ones that won't take it.