Towing mirror question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Hi,

We have a question about towing mirrors. We have a Honda Element and are towing a 13' Scamp. We got some strap on mirror extenders to help us tow the trailer but noticed that they don't really help much. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the view when the towing mirrors extensions are on and when they are off. I can see the back corners of the trailer either way. Has anyone else had this experience? Do I really need the extended mirrors? Is it a legal requirement anywhere? (We are starting in California and going through about ten states in the western U.S.)

Thanks,

Linda
Chris Seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't know about the leagle stuff except that an uncle was stopped about 30 years ago and told to extend his towing mirrors by 3 inches.

As for usefullness, I find the extensions very usefull. When towing the additional towing mirrors give a bit of a view closer to the back of the trailer than I can get with the factory mirrors. Cars following will always follow too close. I can tell they're back there if all I can see is what's behind the back door of the following car. I can't see anything with the factory mirrors. I'm towing my 13' Scamp with 1998 Chev Blazer, which could be bit wider than your Element.

That said, many people like to tow with the front and back windows of the trailer certains open and no gravel gaurd. I did that for awhile, you can see right through and no need for towing mirrors.

Gina! Do you use towing mirrors or just look through the trailer windows?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
California Vehicle Code requires mirrors to see at least 200 feet behind trailer. I have the strap on extended mirrors on my 1999 Nissan Frontier pickup towing the Compact II and they help out a lot. Mike
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We got some strap on mirror extenders to help us tow the trailer but noticed that they don't really help much. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the view when the towing mirrors extensions are on and when they are off. [b] I can see the back corners of the trailer either way. Has anyone else had this experience? Do I really need the extended mirrors? Is it a legal requirement anywhere?
My extended mirrors do a better job of showing me the cars behind my trailer than my regular mirrors do; the wider angle helps me see those cars that are closer behind me. My extensions are oriented horizontally:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backing_in.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	3318

I chose them over ones that were oriented vertically:

Name:   10438A.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  6.9 KB

The wider the mirrors are, the closer to the back of my trailer I can see.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
California Vehicle Code requires mirrors to see at least 200 feet behind trailer. I have the strap on extended mirrors on my 1999 Nissan Frontier pickup towing the Compact II and they help out a lot. Mike
Mike, do you know if that means 0 to 200' or 200' and beyond? or maybe something else?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I do not use extention mirrors with my Element, no. I use the open curtain method, and I tried someone elses mirrors once. They had zero additional benefit.

The Elements mirrors are larger than most, almost trucklike, for a car it's size.

Interestingly enough, I had a less than pleasant experience with a gung ho young CHP officer one my way down the hill the day before Cambria.

He pulled me over for no other reason than to bawl me out for towing with the Element and HAD to inquire about the weight. I had to get inside to look at the reg. (Which does NOT have the weight printed on it) He for some reason believed my staements and calmed down after he learned the Burros true self. He THEN proceeded to patrol around the trailer looking for violations. He then told me I didn't need brakes or two safety chains for a trailer this size. First he grumps cause he thought I was being unsafe, then he grumps because I am TOO safe.

Not once were mirrors mentioned. And I was happy to see him dissapear in my mirrors as I got back underway.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Gina.....he probably just wanted your phone number.....
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Har!

Liz thinks he just wanted to see my cute little..

TRAILER

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I think the vehicle code states if you can see a car 200ft or more behind your ok. It would be nice to know if an emergency vehicle is behind you with lights flashing.
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote