Towing questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2004 Spirit Deluxe
New to the forum and I am getting my 04 Casita 17' SD tomorrow. Tug is 97 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD 5 sp with 3500 tow cap. and a 5000 # hitch. Just replaced my clutch. Any recommendations such as optional oil cooler? I am also thinking of a weight distributing hitch as the tongue weight seems to load the rear of the truck.
Don Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Don! Welcome to the Forums!

I split your post into a new thread as I think it is significant, and deserves to stand alone.

In response, usually transmission coolers are required on automatic transmissions in response to heat build up caused by plate/band slippage (or some such thing... automatic transmissions work by magic, as far as I actually understand them). Manual transmissions are just a gear box and don't require any additional cooling (generally speaking). I'd expect your Pathfinder's tranny will do just fine. The heat buildup and expendable parts on a manual transmission are the clutch plates.

I'd suggest that the appropriately-sized weight distributing hitch would be in order. I'd also recommend that you use some sort of sway control; whatever is appropriate for the tongue weight of the Casita.

Best of luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote