Towing suggestions...please. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
I am heading out next Friday on my first trip with my 13ft boler. I have never towed anything before and was looking for any helpful suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,
Robin
(towing with my 2004 Toyota Corolla)
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Keep your foot away from the firewall! In other words, slow down (and enjoy the scenery). Every tug and trailer combo has a sweet spot for the best fuel mileage (someplace 50-65 mph), you'll find the one that's best for you. Remember it's the journey, not the destination, so enjoy every minute.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
I am wondering how to you start a brand new post?

I write comments after what has already been written.

Sunnie
sunnie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Use the button that says "New Topic" to start a new post.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Robin:

Some generic towing advice -

If you haven't towed before, go slow to begin with, at least until you get the feel of how the car behaves with a trailer behind it. Allow more room to stop, and don't forget to take turns wide so you don't run over something with the trailer wheels - like a gas pump. I'd try making a few short trips, first around town them maybe for a little bit longer before heading off on a long trip so you get some confidence and experience with the combination.

If your car is an auto, make sure it doesn't "hunt' for gears on long grades by shifting it out of high gear manually.

Make sure the car tires are inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewalls.

Cross the safety chains under the tongue. The left chain goes to the right side of the car and the right chain goes to the left side of the car. That way, if the trailer comes off the ball, the chains have a chance of catching the tongue before it hits the road. The chains are also affected less by sharp turns when they are hooked up that way.

Stop after going a mile or two and check the safety chains and coupler to make sure all is well. Whenever you stop for gas, check them again, and feel the trailer tires and hubs to see if they are getting hot. Warm is OK, hot is not. It's not a bad idea to verify your trailer lights are functioning at the same time.

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head, I'm sure others can add more.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Robin:

Some generic towing advice -

If you haven't towed before, go slow to begin with, at least until you get the feel of how the car behaves with a trailer behind it. Allow more room to stop, and don't forget to take turns wide so you don't run over something with the trailer wheels - like a gas pump. I'd try making a few short trips, first around town them maybe for a little bit longer before heading off on a long trip so you get some confidence and experience with the combination.

If your car is an auto, make sure it doesn't "hunt' for gears on long grades by shifting it out of high gear manually.

Make sure the car tires are inflated to the maximum pressure on the sidewalls.

Cross the safety chains under the tongue. The left chain goes to the right side of the car and the right chain goes to the left side of the car. That way, if the trailer comes off the ball, the chains have a chance of catching the tongue before it hits the road. The chains are also affected less by sharp turns when they are hooked up that way.

Stop after going a mile or two and check the safety chains and coupler to make sure all is well. Whenever you stop for gas, check them again, and feel the trailer tires and hubs to see if they are getting hot. Warm is OK, hot is not. It's not a bad idea to verify your trailer lights are functioning at the same time.
That's what I can come up with off the top of my head, I'm sure others can add more.
phil clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
You're getting some good advice. One thing I didn't see is that you should practice backing your trailer. That's an absolute must. Also, whenever you're backing up, watch your mirrors carefully to be sure you don't jacknife the trailer into your bumper. It can happen quickly, particularly with a 13 footer. Good luck, Phil
phil clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
This is a valid concern, but just to be clear...
don't assume that the transmission needs to be shifted out of the highest gear position, or anything else that "they say" you should do (for instance, turning off an overdrive switch). This is an excellent time to read the car's owners manual - my guess is that there is a section in there which says what to do for best reliability and most pleasant towing.

Mine stays in "D" (the top position of my 5-speed auto), except on the rare occasions when I manually shift it lower to get more power or stop the "hunting" that Lee mentioned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote