Towing with a Honda C-RV - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Towing with a Honda C-RV

Hi Everyone
We are looking at a 1999 16' Casita and wonder if anyone has an exact weight for that year, We want to tow with a 2008 Honda C-RV and are concerned that the Casita might be a little heavy.
Answers and thoughts on this are appreciated.
Bob & Myra
Diamond Bar, CA

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our 2003 CRV is rated at 1500 lb trailer weight. We are pulling a 13' Uhaul that weighs about 1300 lb, and no brakes. The Honda pulls it OK, but I think the Casita has to be over 1500. There's a thread on here about trailer weights, check it out. We would like a 16 or 17 foot Casita, but would need a different tow vehicle, so we'll stay with our Uhaul & teardrop for now.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Here you go. Look at the final numbers in the far right column: Trailer Weights in the Real World
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We are looking at a 1999 16' Casita and wonder if anyone has an exact weight for that year.
No one has an exact weight for any one particular type of trailer. Year of manufacture has little to no bearing on final weights.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (Same answer.)

According to the weight thread (Thanks for the link Donna) the lightest 16' Casita in the sample population was 2020 pounds and the heaviest was 2800 pounds. Both are fully loaded weights and they vary by 780 pounds.

Check the weights on 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe; the most common and plentiful fiberglass trailer out there. Anywhere from 2820 pounds to 3520 pounds; all for the same trailer type. Again these are fully loaded weights and they vary by 700 pounds.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Towing a 1995 Casita 16

We towed our son's 1995 Casita 16 for one year, probably about 4,000 miles with our 2004 Honda CRV, 4 cylinder, manual transmission. He now tows it with an Outback; he formally towed with a Honda Element.

The Casita weighed almost 2800 pounds fully loaded including AC, awning, two propane tanks. It was fully loaded with our stuff for 7 months of travel and we drove it down the east coast to Fl and back. The tongue weight was about 240 pounds.

I did not measure the deflection of the Honda at he rear wheels with the Casita but our Scamp 16 that has a tonuge weight of about 200 pounds, lowers the body at the rear wheel wells 1/2 inch. I don't expect 240 would deflect a lot more than 200.

We towed the Casita without a sway bar and I will say the rig towed beautfully for our entire travels.

We now tow our 1991 Scamp 16 with our CRV and probably have 5-6000 miles towing it without any issues. As well we've been towing trailers of this size for 4-5 years with our CRV and have never had a problem towing or with the Honda.

I will say we do not overload the nose of the trailer, no generator mounted there. I've seen Casitas with 500 pounds of nose weight. This is a place where what you do does matter, not just with a Honda or Casita but with any small trailer.

As I've said on earlier posts we selected the Scamp over the Casita because it's lighter and taller inside. I will also say we liked both the Casita and Scamp. Had the Casita been taller we probably would have bought one but I'm over 6 feet tall.

We considered the taller Caswita 17 but found that it's much heavier and often has high tongue weights.

I do think you can tow the Casita 16 however I also think that's the top end for a Honda CRV. I will also say that towing the Casita we averaged 22-23mpg, more than we did with a lighter stick built trailer that did not have the aerodynamics of the Casita or Scamp.

I will also say we're conservative drivers, we tend to avoid interstates and when we do we go no faster than 60 mph. The same holds true for all the roads in Texas, unbelievable even Texas Farm Roads can be posted at 65-70 MPH. We still keep it to no more than 60. If there's some one behind us that wants to go faster and can't pass we always pull over and let those in a hurry pass, to us it's just courtesy for those still working or in a rush. it doesn't hurt our ego that others have some where to go in a flash.

We also recognize that our tires are ratesd for only 65 mph.

We do realize that there are some hills out there where we need to downshift and that's OK as well. There's a hill somewhere that every rig has to downshift for.

We know what the Honda CRV is rated for in the USA, 1500 pounds. That is the same rating they have in Europe for the CRV when towing a trailer without brakes. We assumed that with trailer brakes we could tow the European rating for a trailer with brakes, around 3000 pounds. To date after many 10's of thousands of miles towing the Honda has been great.

People worry about insurance. We own only one vehicle, our Honda CRV. We insure both our Honda and trailer with the same company, Liberty Mutual. They know we travel and tow. We have had one small accident and they did not blink.

We do have a good driving record and I think our company has made plenty of money off us. We also carry a general liability policy against anything.

If you have any specific questions please do not hesitate to PM me.

Safe travels
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote