Towing with refrigerator on - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2003, 08:27 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another thing

Another thing ....

Having a run down battery on your trailer or on your tow vehicle is bound to happen, at some point.

Which is why I think it's very important that everyone travel with at least one of these brief-case-sized Jump-It batteries.

If you don't have one, go out today and buy one. It will cost you up to US$70.

But if you use it once, it will pay for itself.

And if you happen to end up pulling into a campground with a dead trailer battery, you can easily splice the JUMP-IT into the trailer wiring to run your DC appliances for a day or two (practicing conservation).

Old 02-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #16

run or not to run -- on DC

run or not to run -- on DC
There is a swarm of good information here.
Stressing what Charles said, I just learned my little tow vehicle had to have the fans changed because they pulled more then the alternator could produce. so in hot weather I would run the battery down just driving the car. never happened, but there would be no way I could have also run a ref. on DC at the same time.

That lettuce trick is a great idea. with 12 years of turning the frig down at night and up again in the day, no matter if it was 60 or 110, so the lettuce wouldn't freeze, I NEVER thought to just put the lettuce some where else. but I will now. Thanks Mary.

every where I turn lately there are these power jumper thingies on sale. I did notice some also pump up your tires, and some don't. so check around. :)

Old 02-07-2003, 09:10 AM   #17

Well Jana

Well Jana, funny you should mention the Jump-It thingies with built-in air compressors.

Even though I already own three Jump-Its, I just purchased my fourth ... with the built-in air compressor.

I figured it would be handy to have in case of a flat tire.

But more importantly, I bought it because it seems Pam and I are always pushing the season ... and I've had to winterize the trailer "on-the-fly" due to an unexpected below-freezing snap high on a mountain top.

I figured with the new Jump-it with built in compressor, I could blow out my water lines no matter where I am.

I will warn folks about this, however. The built-in compressor doesn't have the battery power capacity of other models ... at least mine doesn't.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:38 AM   #18

for DC power

So if I'm wanting it just for power, I shoudn't get the one with the tire pump? so if I don't use the tired pump, it will be the same, power wise? maybe I need two.. one with and one without. I think I'm confusing myself. :o
Old 02-07-2003, 12:26 PM   #19

Refrigerator on 12v

In my research I found in thread #4856 on the Casita Club site that Will was able to improve the performance. He ran an additional #10 gage ground from the refrigerator under the carpet directly to the plug on the front of the trailer. By keeping the additional lead short it lowers the voltage drop to the unit. The higher voltage lowers the amperage required to do the same job. This will give the tow vehicle more amperage to run everything.

He also had an additional ideal which makes a lot of sense. Disconnect the 12v from the trailer and run a #10 gage through an in line fuse straight to the plug also. This would improve voltage drop even more and performance under tow. And by adding a diode in the battery charge lead, between the plug and trailer battery, would prevent the refrigerator from using the trailer battery. This diode would prevent the refrigerator from discharging the battery if it was left in dc mode.

But it can still run the tow vehicle down when stopped.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:16 AM   #20

Ground Side of Wiring

Don't forget to improve the ground side of the wiring also. An undersized ground conductor can cause just as much of a voltage drop as an undersized hot wire.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 02-08-2003, 12:56 PM   #21

I'm a believer in JumpIts. I bought one with the inflator. I don't remember the battery amperage at the moment, but it was a larger one, and not one of the cheapest. Anyway, I've never had to use it to jump my vehicle, but I use the inflator all the time. We carry bikes with us, and invariably when you arrive, one or more bike tire is low. Or, the bikes are in the shed at home, and the big compressor is in the workshop on the other side of the property. Or, the lawn tractor has a flat tire. Or, the gas station charges for air. Whatever. Mine gets lots of use. It has the jumper cables, inflator, a 12v socket, and a light. How about that light when you are changing a tire in the dark? For $50-75.00, its a deal.

Tags
refrigerator